Diamond steel sharpeners ?

Black cat

Ive noticed my folks seem to favor the DMT diamond steel for sharpening their blades.
I have been looking at these and was wondering which ones you guys use for a complete sharpening setup, grits and stone size/shape and such ?

I was using a paper wheel setup for a while. It worked well at first but just seems rather hit and miss.

lately ive been just using a fine grinding belt then stropping on the buffer. It gets them sharp but it eats away at the blade and generally doesnt sit with me as a good practice.

Im looking for something that will get the razor edge I like but is safe, simple and doesnt damage the blade.
I almost think something like a diamond steel rod or small flat DS file might work well for me.

Thanks again!

TacticallySharp

KNIFE MAKER
I use a Spydeco Sharpmaker. In it's basic configuration the unit has two sets of ceramic triangular shaped rods. I added the extra fine ones and get super sharp edges with it.

If I have a damaged edge that needs a little touch up to correct it then I use a 600 diamond stone and after corrected move it the Sharpmaker. Badly damaged edges are taken back to the grinder.

Black cat

That makes sense. Ceramic rods might be the way to go. Ive seen some systems like that but not the spyderco ill take a look at it. Do you find the diamond is much more agressive than the ceramic ?

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
For in the shop sharpening jobs, I prefer a Norton fine india stone. I carry a DMT sharpener in my daypack when I'm hunting for field use. I like the double sided "paddle" type DMT with a 400 grit on one side and a 600 grit on the other.

Generally speaking, the majority of knifemakers I know "setup" the edge on a new knife using a belt. Personally I use a worn out 400 grit, then a worn 800 grit on carbon steels. Stainless steels require a different approach....generally I will start on a new 320 or 400, and work my way all the way to a 1200, then a couple of light passes on a buffing wheel with pink no-scratch IF you want that "hair popping" edge.

Something to think about....... that "hair popping" edge is not always the best for using situations. At times a carbon steel blade, sharpened on a worn 400 grit belt will last longer, and perform better for chores such as field dressing game, then the "hari popping" edge.