Design Critique

Daffy

I haven't had much time recently to finish up my first knives but I do take a few minutes here and there to at least keep doodling a new design that I want to make when I have the chance.

So if you could please give an honest critique of my most recent idea I would appreciate it.

I plan on using 1/8" 1084 and it would be about 1.5" at its widest point

2012-07-25_04-21-11_32.jpg

Thanks guys

Looks good,the only critique I have is the handle may be small for someone with large hands but depending on the expected user a smaller handle may be fine. I usually like more belly and a narrower blade but that is just preference, me being a relatively new maker I cannot give the best advice. I'm sure some more knowledgeable people will give some better advice

I like the overall design, with that said, I do agree with Cameron. I would play around with the point some by not dropping it as low, giving it more belly, it would be a great skinner. Also the handle may be a little short. But it looks good as it is too, just my personal taste.

Dale

Just a couple observations: a 4" handle on a knife GENERALLY isn't too bad for the average sized hand, if you can use the whole handle. Most EDC pocket folders are around this length. On your design however, you have that point that comes out near the pommel area, and that really limits the real estate available for 4 fingers.

Add about another inch to your handle, and then to your blade, and I think you'll be good.

I might also move that last pin away from the end of the handle scale just a little too, just to ensure it doesnt split or crack as easily over time. That's more of a personal preference though.

That's more of a spear point than a drop point. I'm not sure if there is any functional advantage to having the point that low on a short blade. Bringing the point up to the level of the spine would enhance the slicing ability a bit. It's going to depend on what you want that blade to do. It does have very good eye appeal. The handle is well balanced visually but it would be a three fingered grip with big hand, especially with the way the bottom of the handle is formed with a swell. That effectively gives you a 3.5" handle. Regardless, it will be for light use and very little chopping so it may work.

My recommendation is to finish it the way you have it and see how it fits. If it feels like the handle is too short and you don't have good control make the next one with a longer handle. If the point tends to dig into and puncture things that you are cutting, then raise the point on the next.

Doug

Thanks for the info... I can see what you guys mean by the handle coming out short because of the point near the pommel. I also wish to make usable knives not just a glorified box cutter so I'll work on taking it from spear point to a drop point. I think I focused to much on the aesthetics of the blade rather then the functionality of it.

I might like Doug said and make one and see how it feels and play with it from there. After all I'm a new maker so it would be good practice.

I typically like to trace my new designs on a piece of scrap mild steel. Not only does this give me a basic idea of the feel of the knife (balance, weight, ergonomics, etc...) but it also gives me a re-usable template that I can modify as needed, and it also keeps me from wasting good knife steel should I find I don't care for the design.

It also allows you a practice piece to grind bevels, practice file work, play with pin locations, etc... if necessary.

What kind of steel do you use? I know to make this out of 1084 from Aldo a 7" piece is only ~$2.18. Which is fairly cheap. I did make a cardboard mockup of it but I feel like it's a little more forgiving then a piece of steel would be so I might not feel the point coming off the pommel like I would if it was in steel or even a plexiglass.

I use just a standard mild steel like they sell at home depot. If you have a scrap yard around you can get it for pennies on the dollar of what you'll pay at home depot or any other box store.

Another thing to consider... the spine of the knife curves, then goes straight, then curves again. It will make no difference at all on the functionality, but I think the aesthetics would benefit from have the spine one continuous curve, maybe dropping the end of the handle down a bit in the process. It looks a bit blocky as it is, to my eye.

GHEzell I actually thought about dropping the handle when I first drew this one up but I let laziness get the best of me and didn't make up another sketch... Might take another look at it this weekend and see if I could come up with something I like.

In the meantime I made some changes... Guess this one is close to a hunter. I still might raise the drop a bit more because I didn't realize till i put a ruler near it that I didn't bring it up as much as I had intended lol

2012-08-24_18-47-32_551.jpg

hi
i would loose the point at the bottom end of the handle. the joy of 1084 is that this is maybe $2 of material, cut it, grind it, adjust, grind, heat treat, enjoy. if not quite right, remember for the next time.
scott

"Old sailors never die, they just end up wandering around in forums that will allow them to post."

I think it looks great! Nothing to add, other than to say it's time to start cuttin' and grindin' :)

Back