Delete

If you had Scottish Heritage I get it but, I never understood the concept? I have 4 Bladesmithing friends and every single one of them have worn Kilts to events. I've questioned them about it and none of them have given me a real answer! They just laugh it off! I dont care but I would like to know the reasoning behind it?

How did this even come up? is anyone really that interested in someone wearing a kilt? at least it has something to do with nationality. the way people dress and dye their hair nowadays is nothing in comparison to someone wearing a kilt.
even on forged in fire, some of the contestants with their wacked out hair cuts catches my attention more than someone wearing a kilt. kilts go back a long way in time, purple dyed spiked hair doesn't.
want to see some odd ball weird people dressed funny? go to any Walmart.

How did this even come up? is anyone really that interested in someone wearing a kilt? at least it has something to do with nationality. the way people dress and dye their hair nowadays is nothing in comparison to someone wearing a kilt.
even on forged in fire, some of the contestants with their wacked out hair cuts catches my attention more than someone wearing a kilt. kilts go back a long way in time, purple dyed spiked hair doesn't.
want to see some odd ball weird people dressed funny? go to any Walmart.

Its yet another "I'm bored and it's been slow so I'll stir the pot" thread of his.

It starts under the pretense of a legitimate question but ends with an unsolicited derogatory opinion on the process.....with the obligatory shot at bladesmithing in there if you look.

It leaves me pondering why he isn't allowed to post on other forums and how much longer he'll be able to do it here.

This isn't headed towards..."I'm all broke to pieces, Damascus sucks, and CPM3V is the end all of blade steels" is it?
Oh, and I also invented a surface grinder that people all over the planet are making now...thanks to me!

Annoying and almost funny. :rolleyes:

I'm not going to reply to a post that shows such ignorance.
The hell I'm not. Both sets of my grandparents came from Scotland. His post shows that mentally he is in the second grade (skirts?). He obviously has little knowledge of history .
I'm just going to put on my sleeveless shirt and go back to inventing a grinder that everyone must have.

Lol. One armed, you have an awful lot of pent up emotions. You really need to find help for all those issues you exhibit.
As to the posting of pictures in kilts. Scary, all those hairy legs. Nightmare for kids.
Still might be interesting to see the tartans of Clans who are bladesmiths. Mines the tartan of Clan McClung.

There are usually a number of smiths in kilts at the NWBA annual spring conference each year.
I've questioned them about it and none of them have given me a real answer
The most consistent answer I've gotten about this is that they are more comfortable than pants, and I can understand this. Especially after spending a few hours at the forge sweating through my Carharrts.

It's not a kilt, it's a 360 degree apron! ;)

In all seriousness, I've never worn one, nor do I have much of a desire at this point in my life. That said, I won't disparage those who do, nor do I really care what their reasons are. Maybe it's a cultural thing, maybe they're being "tacti-cool", or maybe they just want a little more of a breeze between the knees to avoid the schweddy balls. To each their own. What's the big deal?

Fyi. Spoiler alert. Mel Gibson, Braveheart, wearing a kilt in 1280 Scotland. TV phantasy. Kilts didn't become fashionable until the 1500's.

Well if a kilt was good enough to catch Clair’s attention on Outlander- then Jamie Frazier knows his stuff. ;)
He did look good , huh? And didja see him (and ALL those skirt wearers) wield those sissy broadswords while having them girlie sgian-dubh tucked into their hosiery? Them disgusting girlie-men. Next we'll see them throwing telephone pole sized logs and iron hammers for no good reason. And their hair - I mean REALLY - what says weak like that?
I guess that the OP is correct - he has his head so far up his large intestine, he can only see one arm. And skirts, of course.

Kilts have built in air conditioning properties provided you wear them in the traditional manner and have lots of air flow down at knee height. I have never worn my kilt in the shop, I cut the crap out of my shin a couple years ago, I wear jeans and boots in the shop now, it sucks when its hot but I dont want more stitches in my legs

Back