Daughters 2nd knife

David Roeder

Well my daughter and I have been in the shop together for a time and among the smithing projects she's already completed she finished her 2nd knife today. Just thought i'd share !

This is a 1095 blade that she forged from 1/8" stock. She did the forging, grinding, heat treating, ect. All her !!!
She's 7, and already taking quite an interest in what I do. Kind of figured as much :) She's the oldest of my 4 kids, so I anticipate the remaining three to follow along when there older.IMG_0079 copy.jpgIMG_0086.jpg

That's awesome my 4 year old daughter keeps asking if she can make a knife when she get older

Very impressive for 7? Heck, that's impressive for any age! I wish my first knife at age 14 or so was half that nice! I guess she can honestly say "Girl Power!!!"

Dad, you can be very proud - you're doing your job right.

Ken H>

Great job Dad!

my daughter doesn't want to make one, she wants me to make her a sword! She's not even allowed to play with scissors yet.

Amazing. Both the knife and the fact that you guys make knives together. My two girls both love knives and have a small collection of folders each that Dad had to make - with the required pink and sometimes purple scales, but they have shown no interest in making them - you are fortunate indeed!

That's awesome, so seriously incredibly AWESOME!!!
I had to, almost but not quite, not yet anyway, force my 16yo, SON!!!!!
To go to the shop with me!!! I keep telling him that when I was
a kid if I'd had the chance, the opportunity that he does, to be able to
play....errr I mean WORK with hot steel and fire, OMG!!! I would have
been all over it!!! But he seems lackadaisical at best!! I guess that's what I
get for encouraging his musical aspirations!
He thought I'd be mad if he did'nt want to make knives, I ONLY explained to him
that he had an opportunity to learn a skill, a skill that could possibly feed him one
day, if such a need were to arise! He practically built my forge, with a bit of guidance from
me, he had to do a lot of it because I couldn't at the time, but I'm fairly sure he could
build another, if he REALLY WANTED TO.

Good for you Dave, just remember this is time you will never get back, once it's been spent, it's gone.
Its HOW you spend that time that will matter, after they get past the dreaded part of any kids life,
(well my kid any way, it's called teenager, I call it the, Teenage Loss of Brain Function Syndrome, or TLBFS
for short, the only thing that fixes it is maturity and if mine is anything like me, it's gonna be a while!!!
I'm kidding, mostly, the music has take over his ever waking though! And probably some of the rest!
But I have an awesome kid! No doubt, as many on here would verify! A pleasure to be around,
MOST of the time....All bias aside, he is pretty dang good! No kidding, if he could focus the same energy into
anything and I do mean ANYTHING, he would be the best in the world at it! And if he gets a break, as needed in music, you might just hear his name again, even though he's a drummer!

I know every Dad on here that doesn't get to spend time with their kids in the shop are envious of you Dave,
I know that I am!

And tell Little Ms. Brooke she did a great job on that knife!
I know you already have!
Rex

Back