Darker contrast from the 1080 in Damascus

Boatbuilder

Does anyone have a recipe/procedure for using manganese phosphate for darkening of the 1080 in Damascus?
Thanks Kindly
Jim

Make the instant coffee pretty strong, more like cajun coffee, and do use distilled water to be sure there are no contaminants in the water.

Randy, that's a good etch, and the Damascus pattern looks really good. Did you make the Damascus? I've always loved a good spalted wood.

I learned about the coffee trick years ago from the Dutch guys. They say that that last combo of FeCl and Nescafe even works with a buffed finish.

Make the instant coffee pretty strong, more like cajun coffee, and do use distilled water to be sure there are no contaminants in the water.
Cajun? More like espresso that has been allowed to evaporate for while from what i have been told. ;) I have heard of guys using an entire small jar of Nescafe for one jar of "etchant" coffee.

Good Cajun coffee is sorta thick like really really strong espresso. I didn't see it much last time I lived in Cajun country but back in '70s you'd see two pots of coffee in many cafes, "regular" and "light" for the tourists, and "light" was pretty darn strong. "Regular" was a more viscous than water would be. Strong stuff - took lots of sugar and milk for me to drink.

To your original question https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1841245936
I've pretty much followed this, soak blade until it quits giving off bubbles. I usually use instant coffee since I mostly make kitchen knives. You could also experiment with cold bluing though I have a difficult time getting the color right. I tried old fashioned rust bluing hard to get right ,but a nice color.

Last edited:
Back