Daniel’s KITH WIP

Now to decide if I should go straight into heat treat and grind post ht or go ahead and get the bevel started pre-heat treat.

Now to decide if I should go straight into heat treat and grind post ht or go ahead and get the bevel started pre-heat treat.

Looking good so far...my general rule of thumb for grinding before or after heat treat is stock thickness. Anything 1/8" and under I heat treat first then grind bevels

Reactions: Owl
decarb? I understand the warpage - too thin and it'll warp - I am sorry - but what is 'decarb'? Do you mean that the steel - when ground if too thin - will soften (de-carbonize) if heated again? Or am I ignorant to a new level?

decarb? I understand the warpage - too thin and it'll warp - I am sorry - but what is 'decarb'? Do you mean that the steel - when ground if too thin - will soften (de-carbonize) if heated again? Or am I ignorant to a new level?

So the thing about decarb is that you need to grind it off to get a clean surface as it is deeper than the visual surface. Decarb is spots on the blade where the carbon leaves the steel, and leaves that area as spots that kind of look like little bubbles. So if you already have thin stock and have to grind out your decarb on both side you'll more than likely end up with a knife that is way thinner than you want

Last edited:
So the thing about decarb is that you need to grind it off to get a clean surface as it is deeper than the visual surface. Decarb is spots on the blade where the carbon leaves the steel, and leaves that area as spots that kind of look like little bubbles. So if you already have thin stock and have to grind out your decarb on both side you'll more than likely end up with a knife that is way thinner than you want
ahhhh - I see - I have seen that - thanks Mr Bartlett!!

Haven’t forgot about this I swear. Putting finishing touches on three at the moment then you’ll be seeing some progress pictures on this. Now that I’m finally figuring out my grinder process it doesn’t take me near as long to finish so I will get it done in time I promise.

What ever you provide will be an added treasure in my collection.
That's really it right there - having something that someone made - for you. The build tracked here on the KD forum - it will be something to treasure and show off from now on. No price nor timeline on that at all!

We’re back on this build. Working on finishing up about 10 so stick with me this one will get done. LOL.

Tonight I just cleaned up the profile and scribed a center line with my granite block and height gauge. If you don’t have a height gauge I highly recommend getting one. I use it on every single knife and don’t know how I ever managed without it. You can maybe see The tapers are not perfect but I think there’s just enough meat to clean it up if not I’ll throw it back in the Forge and try to straighten up the tapers a little more. I decided that this one was thin enough I am just going to get the tapers straight so it doesn’t warp in the heat treat and grind bevels post heat treat. Stay tuned!AAB3C97B-F0BD-4232-BB6F-4A230F8333E3.jpeg42DDDEA5-345F-4C95-AFED-A748034B4D9E.jpegE9494BA0-64CA-405D-8989-D318F26853AE.jpeg

Is it alright if mine is a few days late? I have it ground, heat treated and handle rough shaped but still have a few touches and I’m waiting for some leather and tools in the mail for the sheath. It should still arrive before Christmas barring any huge shipping delays. I’m sorry.

Daniel: of course, don't sweat the date. In fact if you have other money making sales pending, any time after Christmas would be fine.
Thank you sir! It will go quick now and will have it shipped before Christmas. Waiting on stuff in the mail is frustrating though all the current events. Got more progress pics I’ll try and get posted tomorrow.

Back