Dana Hackney passed his ABS Journeyman performance test!

Hi Bruce!

Well, you know I could not have done any of this without all the mentoring and help from so many folks in the knifemaking community. I've started doing some sketching for the 5 presentation knives and have a general plan of attack.
I am going to keep them as simple as possible and pay close attention to fit and finish and all the small details. I'm sure ya'all are going to be sick of my calls and questions before next June arrives :)!

Thanks bro and all!
Dana

Dana, Bruce got a few calls from me. I think I would start with one of the MS's. then call another so they all wouldn't get tired of me calling:biggrin:

Take care Dana
Call me anytime

Guess What? I finially got my computer restored, updated and fired back up again. I even had to re-new my photobucket account I'ver been so long off-line.

Here is our own Dana Hackney in action easily going through the rope cut, 2x4 chop and 90 degree bend test thus passing the Journeyman Smith performance test. We didnt get a shot of the arm hair shaving for some reason but believe me this blade shaved a huge patch off my arm as Dana didnt have any hair left on his.

075.jpg

074.jpg

060.jpg

064.jpg

066.jpg

079.jpg

082.jpg

083.jpg

084.jpg

085.jpg

086.jpg

087.jpg

088.jpg

089.jpg

Hey Dana,

Looks like never a doubt. Best beaver chomps on a 2 by ever.:biggrin: Those cut ends look like they're fine finished. You did a terrific job.

Great pics Bruce, Craig

Bruce, Great pics, Glad you got the computer backup and running. It looks like Dana was doing his rope cut in the new Shed /Shop?? Way to go Dana. Now lets start seeing some of those presentation knives.:)

Yep the new shed is the only place we could find to do the rope cut without trespassing at the neighbors tree. Dana cut a dozen times through the rope. He hadnt ever cut the hanging rope before and this was good practise as well. I asked more than I should have from him actually but its a good confidence builder to know his knife will take it with stride. The edge held up keen through the entire test.

Thanks Craig

Hey Dana,

Looks like never a doubt. Best beaver chomps on a 2 by ever.:biggrin: Those cut ends look like they're fine finished. You did a terrific job.

Great pics Bruce, Craig

It's a good thing my pet beaver was hungry .... I mean the blade had been heat treated correctly :).

Thanks for the compliment, Craig!

Now, like Bing said, I've gotta get crackin' on the 5 presentation knives.
I've drawn a bunch of pictures but that's about all, at present. I'm already starting to sweat!

Dana

Bruce, glad your computer's back up...now I can spam you with Bear stories.
Dana, congratulations on the performance test. Those 2X4 cuts are really clean and impressive -- not even any stray hits outside the "notch." I know your presentation knives will be first rate.

Art

Thanks Art!

Bruce, glad your computer's back up...now I can spam you with Bear stories.
Dana, congratulations on the performance test. Those 2X4 cuts are really clean and impressive -- not even any stray hits outside the "notch." I know your presentation knives will be first rate.

Art

I took my time and went very sloooooooooow and avoided every knot :).
Thanks, also, for the vote of confidence on the presentation knives.

Take care and please say hello to Linda for Sandy and me.

Dana

Dana You Are The Man!!!! Excellent job my friend I am so happy for you! Sorry I am so late chiming in here. I can't wait to see " The Five". Hope to see you and Bruce agian soon.

Thanks Shane!

Dana You Are The Man!!!! Excellent job my friend I am so happy for you! Sorry I am so late chiming in here. I can't wait to see " The Five". Hope to see you and Bruce agian soon.

I have to say it again - I am indebted to a lot of folks like Ed and Bruce,
Graham, Bing, Steve Kelly and many others for their help it getting this ol' guy half way to JS :)!

Take care buddy,
Dana

Dana, you're too modest. Nobody touched that knife except you. All we did was give a little advice here and there. :s12205:
I have to say it again - I am indebted to a lot of folks like Ed and Bruce,
Graham, Bing, Steve Kelly and many others for their help it getting this ol' guy half way to JS :)!

Take care buddy,
Dana

CONGRATS Dana !!!!

I gotta tell y'all, It was a real pleasure getting to meet Dana and his lovely wife at the show. Just the nicest folks you ever got to meet.

Also have to mention that I can describe Dana's 5 with one word, CLEAN !!!!! Just beautiful craftsmanship in every way. Extremely inspirational for an aspiring Apprentice smith to get the oppertunity to handle these knives and see in person how presentation knives should look and feel.

Dana, REALLY enjoyed meeting you in person and just wanted to say thanks again for letting me check out your knives !!!!! I'm looking forward to seeing the pics and what you come up with in the future !

Take care, Josh

I was there when Dana passed his test and very excited to see his excitement with this accomplishment. I had a look at the knives just prior to judging and I knew he would leave with his JS stamp. Very talented knife maker. I was also lucky enough to purchase one of his test knives.
Congrats Dana and look forward to seeing you and Sandy on Thursday
Jim

Hi Josh!

Whew! Finally got rested up a bit and am in the midst of packing for our trip to Jim Clow's hammer-in. It's going to be a blast, I know!

Thanks, Josh, for taking the time to visit Sandy and I. It was a real pleasure visiting with you too, and thanks for the kind words! When you have folks like Bruce and Ed Caffrey, and Steve Kelly....this list goes on and on, you can't help but improve (and there's a lot of room for it - when you see all the incredible talent at that show).

Best to you and yours buddy,
Dana

CONGRATS Dana !!!!

I gotta tell y'all, It was a real pleasure getting to meet Dana and his lovely wife at the show. Just the nicest folks you ever got to meet.

Also have to mention that I can describe Dana's 5 with one word, CLEAN !!!!! Just beautiful craftsmanship in every way. Extremely inspirational for an aspiring Apprentice smith to get the oppertunity to handle these knives and see in person how presentation knives should look and feel.

Dana, REALLY enjoyed meeting you in person and just wanted to say thanks again for letting me check out your knives !!!!! I'm looking forward to seeing the pics and what you come up with in the future !

Take care, Josh

Hi Jim!

Boy, you don't require much sleep, do you? I know you said you wouldn't be home till early a.m.! I still feel like I'm half asleep and that's after a good 8 hours of sack time.

I cannot tell you how wonderful it was to see you and Bev, Steve Kelly, Sally Cassidy outside the door, cheering when I came out the door with the thumbs up sign.
Gosh, we have met some of the most gracious and generous folks that one could ever wish to know in this craft....made me/us feel like royalty :).

Sandy and I are so looking forward to our visit with you and Bev and the knife makers gathered in Brooks, Alberta.....yeehaa!

Dana and Sandy

Back