damascus micarta - a new handle material

lerman

Hello,

i'v been playing with the idea of making a stainless mesh micarta for quite a while, here is my first test.

the mesh is 400 micron.
let me know what you think.

1-47.jpg

2-39.jpg

3-39.jpg

4-35.jpg

5-32.jpg

any idea for a name? i was thinking polymascus :D

6-25.jpg

7-20.jpg

8-17.jpg

9-16.jpg

thanks for looking,
Lee Lerman

Wow, that is a really cool effect when you sand into it!

Great "outside the box" idea! Would look great on the presentation side of a tactical-style framelock.

it feels like etched damascus, but it's not fully cured yet, it needs seven days for the polymerization process to complete.

i hope that in seven days the resin will be tougher and it would be possible to make it even smoother.

I think it is a great look and awesome idea. I want some!!! Shoot me a PM or email I would like to order a few pieces of this stuff from you.

Thanks

i'm really glad you all liked it.

it was only a small test run to see if it would work, and it looks like it did, so now i have to get some large quantities of the SS mesh, i'll post updates in this thread for anyone how is interested.

Thats pretty cool looking stuff. It seems like it would be able to be patterned like damascus by placing rods or ball bearings under it while pressing. Ariel Salaverria did some "damascus" micarta using rods for a ladder pattern and corn kernels for a bullseye pattern.

Back