Damascus Integral Bird and Trout WIP

Beautiful piece ! Look out Mr. Bruce bump, looks like compition ....

I thought somebody mentioned my name over here.
Wow Mike thats nice. Great WIP posts too. Cant wait to see how this knife comes out. From what I've seen lately you could send Ken something now.

Thanks Bruce I love these WIP's and your the Master so trying one your style with lots of pics. Wish I could quit my day job and just make knives and would sure make the WIP updates faster. Think I will wait a few more knives before I send one to Ken.

Well today we are back at it and doing my least favorite job hand sanding but hey it has to be done. I am hand sanding the bolsters, front of the bolsters and about 2" of the blade in front of the bolster as this will be a major pain after I grind in the plunge cuts. The scales have been removed for this operation. I have this sanded to 320 grit now and will be going to 2000 grit.

Here I am using a chainsaw file rapped with sandpaper for the front of the bolster and I also use it to blend the radius of the bolster to the flat of the blade.
_MG_6476.jpg

Using a small flat files to sand the blade.

_MG_6491.jpg

I use a opti visor while finishing helps me see how my finishing is going. Here I am checking for scratches before moving to the next grit.

_MG_6498-Version2.jpg

Mike, This is looking sweet.2thumbs I'm getting real excited to see how this turns out. Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Bing

MLazyB Custom Knives
ABS Journeyman Smith

WOW what a summer here brought my shop to a halt but I have finally been able to get back in the shop and work on this one. Have it etched and will be gluing it up tonight. Did a mock up before etching and had the wife snap some pics so here they are.

_MG_7829-Version2.jpg

_MG_7832-Version2.jpg

Well while watching glue dry managed to get some pre glue up pics from the wife of the etched blade, hope you all like it.

_MG_7834-Version2.jpg

_MG_7836-Version2.jpg

And a close up of the pattern,

_MG_7843-Version2.jpg

You had me rivited to the screen from beginning to end. Top shelf work, pure genius jig for drilling pin holes. And I commend the wife for her photographic skills. Roy

Mike, I was thinking about this one the other day. Looks like you must have ESP:biggrin: The knife is coming along nicely. Well executed. I really like your W's.

Bing
MLazyB Custom Knives
ABS Journeyman Smith

Thanks Roy

Yes Bing I have ESP my friend :D, and thanks on the compliment :D. I am going to try and make it to the idaho show maybe the customer will let me keep it till then.

Really good thread Mike. Thanks for taking the time to show the small things, like how you file and sand the bolsters and scales. It is a big help to the inexperienced (myself).
I think the knife looks great.

Your wife sure is good with the photos. I hope to see you and some of your knives at the Boise show if not sooner.
If you stop by the shop sometime I will let you have your Christmas present early this year.

Thanks Cal

Hey Mark I will be over tomorrow :biggrin:, just kidding started second cutting of hay today :sad:. Glad you and everyone else is enjoying the thread and thanks for the compliment.

Ya Barb is great with the pics and these are just snap shots to her LOL. I am going to try and make Boise show if I can get a few knives done.

Back