damascus confusion

I am wanting to get in to the world of damascus but i have a few questions (I could go with the flat stock but cable and chain is easier for me to get)

1. for cable damascus do you just get ungalvanized cable or to you just put the cable in the forge to let the coating burn off then forge it

2. when making chain damascus do you do anything special to the chain besides cleaning any residue

Both of those materials are rather advanced to start out with. Years ago it was normal for folks to recommend that "beginners" start out with cable.....but in reality it's one of the most difficult things to forge weld correctly. Chain is even worse, due to all the air space that must be eliminated. The other down side to both materials is that unless you purchase brand new cable, you're never really sure of what your working with, which makes being able to heat treat it a crap shoot at best.
DO NOT PUT ANYTHING GALVANIZED IN YOUR FORGE!!! It is a SERIOUS health hazard, and can actually kill you.

The best way to put yourself on the path to success, is to purchase some 1080 and 15n20.....it will make things much easier to learn, and you will have much more success with it.

Excellent advise from Ed, I agree cable is not for beginners and chain is much more difficult. A smith by the name of Jim Wilson known to many as Paw Paw died from burning off galvanizing in a forge, so don't do it. If you want to read about it here is a link,

http://www.anvilfire.com/iForge/tutor.php?lesson=safety3/demo

I concur Ed's advise on get some 1080 and 15N20 they weld very easy and you will be much happier with your results.

Thank you both for the great advice, and also thanks for the metal recommendations I already have some 1080 now all that is left is to get myself some 15n20. :)

Edit: I knew about the galvanization, plan was to have me stand behind a big fan that is blowing the fumes away

Last edited:
Back