Damascus & checkered ironwood folder

So I deleted the “may we critique” post, because that’s not really what I meant to say lol. I was poorly attempting to get across that I can’t look at this knife without imagining it with one of your hamones. But then I thought, can you even do that on a folder? I love this knife, by the way. I think it’s my favorite of all your knives, and that’s saying something.

Sure you can! Its been done already. I've done several folders with hamon. Here's a couple, one quite similar to what you were wondering.

Capture+_2019-02-12-20-13-31~2.pngCapture+_2019-02-12-20-13-58~2.png

I never, ever, ever thought I'd be interested in building folders.

Then I saw a "J. Doyle" folder.

Absolutely magnificent, every one of them.

I hope to someday have half the eye for proportions.

How much does a folder like that go for? Or is that an off limits question? Forgive me, I'm a N00b ;)

Edit: And by the way ... that's a beauty!

Last edited:
How much does a folder like that go for? Or is that an off limits question? Forgive me, I'm a N00b ;)

Generally speaking, that’s bad manners in a public forum. Although it’s a good question, it’s best asked in a private message. Even then, some feel it’s a private matter between the maker and the customer.

If a maker doesn’t post prices on a website, chances are that maker works out pricing with each client and doesn’t want that information public. It’s very hard to get top dollar for your work if a client sees prices online from the past when you weren’t charging as much.

That’s just my take. I don’t speak for John Doyle or anyone else.

Generally speaking, that’s bad manners in a public forum. Although it’s a good question, it’s best asked in a private message. Even then, some feel it’s a private matter between the maker and the customer.

If a maker doesn’t post prices on a website, chances are that maker works out pricing with each client and doesn’t want that information public. It’s very hard to get top dollar for your work if a client sees prices online from the past when you weren’t charging as much.

That’s just my take. I don’t speak for John Doyle or anyone else.

Very fair and understandable. Beautiful work at any price :D

No worries man. I wouldn't mind telling you what the price on this one was bit I would do it by email or PM for some of the reasons listed. And it also doesn't mean that the price would be the same by the time I got around to making another one.

You guys are something else. :D y'all gotta stop acting like you don't make some pretty nice knives. :)

But I do appreciate the comments.....and the witty banter. Thank you all!

Back