Dagger WIP

Justin W.

This is gonna be my first full WIP on this forum and I chose a fun build to do it with! This is my first dagger that I’ve made and I’m gonna be using 80crv2 for my steel since that’s been my go too lately. 98FD2C11-339A-444C-8E1D-9183D4DFC37D.jpegI still need to work on makingmy designs more precise or just swap over to a CAD program. I am getting better with every knife I sketch and maybe more importantly I’m starting to be able to make knives that match my original sketch LOL
7105354A-2994-47BD-B690-0E4095DE228B.jpeg132138EC-55B7-4369-8292-791EAA7ED83E.jpegA3A24C21-A188-4CFF-A92D-294751741829.jpegThis was rough trying to get everything symmetrical but i think I got it as well as I could I’m hoping to grind this blade next weekend when I have fresh belts.....................and my new grinder:cool:

That's a very classic design and looks great! Are you going to have a metal guard or are you going to have a one piece handle?

That's a very classic design and looks great! Are you going to have a metal guard or are you going to have a one piece handle?
I’m thinking about doing one piece handle of OD micarta with black micarta pins and a really dark mustard patina for the blade finish

That’s awesome Justin!! I love daggers but haven’t worked up the courage to try one yet. Really looking forward to this build especially the grinding. Great start. Thanks for sharing.

That’s awesome Justin!! I love daggers but haven’t worked up the courage to try one yet. Really looking forward to this build especially the grinding. Great start. Thanks for sharing.
Yeah I’m a bit nervous about that lol i might try and work up a jig but I’m undecided at this point

Are you going for an elongated diamond blade cross section or are you doing a triangle shape? I made a letter opener for my wife this winter and that grind was really fun, I think it would be more fun on a bigger thicker piece, I kind of want to try forging the bevels in on one. I have some .270 thick 1084 to try it with. I am following along and am looking forward to watching you knock this one out of the proverbial park.

Are you going for an elongated diamond blade cross section or are you doing a triangle shape? I made a letter opener for my wife this winter and that grind was really fun, I think it would be more fun on a bigger thicker piece, I kind of want to try forging the bevels in on one. I have some .270 thick 1084 to try it with. I am following along and am looking forward to watching you knock this one out of the proverbial park.
Man I’m not sure yet. I’m thinking a diamond grind but we will see

B99D9565-D25D-457D-8480-82AE810E0A9D.jpeg51B50B01-1A06-4717-A25B-1A11B628C0FF.jpeg02412023-C2E8-4AB5-BE34-DE1EFFF2BB42.jpegAD4187C9-2AE5-4EFD-8C06-96FD2FB9CB03.jpeg

Alright guys! I wanted to wait until I got my new grinder set up before I went ahead and ground the bevels on this dagger. Being able to use the VFD is such a game changer on more complex grinds. I was extremely worried I was gonna over heat my tip but I just cranked down my speed took it slow and it was no problem!!!!!!!

Nothing fancy on this one. I didn’t take the bevel as far in as I would have originally like but the tip was getting thin and I didn’t want to risk having to scrap the whole thing if I botched the tip LOL

I etched in my makers mark and applied a few coats of gun bluing. I’ve gotta hop back on my custom orders but I’d like to finish this knife this weekend. Thanks for checking it out

Really great job on the grinds! You made it look easy and I know it wasn’t. Thanks for posting. It might motivate me to give it a try. :)

View attachment 72581View attachment 72582View attachment 72583View attachment 72584

Alright guys! I wanted to wait until I got my new grinder set up before I went ahead and ground the bevels on this dagger. Being able to use the VFD is such a game changer on more complex grinds. I was extremely worried I was gonna over heat my tip but I just cranked down my speed took it slow and it was no problem!!!!!!!

Nothing fancy on this one. I didn’t take the bevel as far in as I would have originally like but the tip was getting thin and I didn’t want to risk having to scrap the whole thing if I botched the tip LOL

I etched in my makers mark and applied a few coats of gun bluing. I’ve gotta hop back on my custom orders but I’d like to finish this knife this weekend. Thanks for checking it out
Looks great, and nice dog!

Back