Dagger question

Kev

It’s about time I tried to attempt a dagger build. I’ve watched a few videos and I think I have basic idea down.
Then one question that I do have is, what is a good metal thickness to start with? I do solely stock removal, no forging at this point. Obviously to thin could be a disaster, but I think too thick and you could have a very heavy knife where I think something light and fast suits the build better.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Only done a couple. Steel was either .187 or .211 with hidden or through tang. Blade lengths were between 4.5 to 5.5 inches.
They test your grinding skills as keeping both sides symmetrical and centered is a challenge.
I'd start with some cheap 1018 steel and do some practice grinds first.

are you flat or hollow grinding,,,,,,i like hollow grinds on a dagger as the center rib is more pronounced......the smaller diameter wheels give a crisper better look.....seeing you are doing mainly stock removal ......the thicker the steel the better the look....up to 1/4 inch or a little better.....will not be too heavy on a dagger shaped blade

All I know is to many layout lines is never enough!! 3/16" is what I used and flat grinds.

For a dagger of 6 to 8" blade length I'd think 3/16" thick would be min with a 1/4" thick working just fine at about the max.

I hadn't thought about a hollow grind making the center line show up better, but that does sound good.

Depending on blade length, you might want to go as thick as 1/4".

Edit: maybe even a little thicker... depends on the end use. Sometimes the extra weight can be advantageous.

Sent from my Champion Forge using Tapatalk

FYI. The old Gerber Guardian dagger was .181 thick at Riccaso and 3.375 long.
Just remember as you get further into build. The dagger is a cut just waiting to happen.

Back