D2 Burl Bowie with Sheath

Ausbrooks

KNIFE MAKER
Just off bench is this D2 bowie that is built for heavy use with a heavier blade and slightly longer handle (4.75") to aid in chopping. Balance point is an inch ahead of guard so has a great forward balance. Point is ground heavier to allow extra durability.
Specs: D2 edge-quenched blade with hamon .316 at ricasso, medium hollow ground and 7.5" sharp, 13.5 OA, NS guard, spacers and handle pin (peened), copper file worked spacer, black fiber spacers, mallee burl handle with approx 10 coats true oil, my sheath made with impressed gator cowhide and 7-8 oz leather w. brass stud.
No longer available. Thanks for lookin'

Last edited:
Very nice! I guess I haven't seen D2 edge quenched before, I wasn't aware that you could get a hamon in D2. Would you care to share a little on that process? I've got some D2 that I haven't used yet, so this really got my attention.

Thanks guys- TA after trial and error, this is process I came up with for a D2 hamon: Apply furnace cement to top/sides of blade only after first placing a cardboard pattern on lower area of sides of blade to be hardened so that cement is applied exactly same height on one side as the other. Prepare warm canola oil in tray at same depth as the exposed steel on sides of blade. Tool wrap blade, normalize and heat to 1925F for 30 minutes in electric furnace. Remove from furnace, cut open pouch quickly, remove blade and quench in oil edge first for approx 20 seconds, holding blade horizontally edge down with top surface of oil just meeting bottom of clay on sides of blade, then dunk entire blade and let sit for several minutes. Place on rack to cool to room temp. Knock loose clay off blade. Perform cold or cryo treat, and tempering cycles. Hand sand off rest of clay, being careful in hamon area. polish to 400 grit, rub down blade with a solution of 3 parts water one part FC, then hand rub hamon area with a fine polishing compound such as Flitz or Stanley brand. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing, I've got some D2 scraps that aren't quite big enough for regular blades that will be perfect for experimenting. Sounds really interesting.

Paul, wow, as usual I love your work. You know that bowies like that are my favorite!!! That is awesome, I haven't had any time this summer to build, so busy with work, grass and field cutting, etc. can't wait till fall when it slows a bit so I can get back into the knifemaking business. Maybe I'll start with another Bowie. Thanks for sharing.

Wayne

Wayne- thanks for the kind words- yep work and life gets in way of knives- I've just doing some one-offs lately for enjoyment as all have time for. Let me know if need any 440 as still got a pile of those blanks.
Paul

Thanks Boxer Bill. I know selling knives in here is a bit like selling refrigerators to eskimos so try to keep prices down so can sell a knife once in a while....

I got this knife yesterday an let me tell you guys something, this knife is beautiful in hand. Workmanship is freakin awesome. Just chopped some 2x4 to test it out an like cutting butter. This knife is unbelievable..great work man

Last edited:
Back