D-2 Slipjoint

Axeman58

Does anyone have any info on tempering for the back spring on a D-2 Slipjoint you might be willing to share? I've worn the Internet out searching for any info, and am thus far finding nothing useful. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris Railey

I have never worked with D-2 but a general HT would be heat to non magnetic, quench, remove scale to bare steel then use a low torch flame to slowly “run the colors” it will start light straw then darken to full blue. Go slow and turn the whole piece full blue. I start at the widest part of the spring and let the colors run toward the narrow end. I am sure there is a much more scientific process but that is what I would do.

Axeman58

Thanks guys. I think I'll try to find what the hardness would be around 1000-1100F. Chris, I would much rather use the HT oven I built to do the tempering in order to have more control over the spring temper. From all the information I have been able to find, D-2 does really well (as does most modern steels) with tight temperature control, and I've read that D-2 responds well to cyro treatment.
I think my original question may have been somewhat confusing because my wording doesn't really specify that I am interested in temperatures more than procedures. For that, I am sorry. Any way, even if I can't word my questions properly, I do appreciate you guys taking time to try to help.

Chris Railey

No worries Axe there is always more than one way to skin a cat. If Ihad a HT oven I would use it. My shop is set up more for blacksmithing than blade smithing. I usually will offer a simple (old school) suggestion because a lot of new smiths do not have ovens and pyrometers etc. Those things will help you squeeze the most out of a particular steel so they are a good thing but you can make a fine blade without them too.

Axeman58

No worries Axe there is always more than one way to skin a cat. If Ihad a HT oven I would use it. My shop is set up more for blacksmithing than blade smithing. I usually will offer a simple (old school) suggestion because a lot of new smiths do not have ovens and pyrometers etc. Those things will help you squeeze the most out of a particular steel so they are a good thing but you can make a fine blade without them too.
Chris,
I totally agree. It's the helping attitudes on this forum that keep me comin' back. I sincerely hope my reply did not offend you, I just thought I didn't give you guys all the information you might need in my original post.
Just as a matter of putting info out there, in my research last night, I discovered that D-2 has a secondary hardening curve in the 500F (?) range during tempering. It appears to me that I will need to do a 2X temper at 1150F in order to get the D-2 slipjoint spring into the recommended 45-48 HRC range. I sure hope a 60-62 HRC blade doesn't destroy the spring, but I have to believe the many slipjoint makers on this vital aspect of building a quality pocket knife. And, thank you again for taking time out of your life to try to help, I truly appreciate it.

Chris Railey

No offense at all Axe. I cannot help anyone with tempering steel in a HT oven because I have no experience there. There are many on this forum who can help there but there are many like me who still do simple HT and those I can help. I did not know which you were mainly because I am still new here...We are all on the same team.

stefand

Here is my take on this matter....must just say, that I am no expert.
I would harden at 1020 deg C to 1040 deg C. Then temper the blade at 200 - 250 deg C. To get the spring down to 45 - 48 HRc, temper at 620 deg C, although I would aim for a slightly harder spring of about 50 - 55 HRc, at 550 deg C.

Axeman58

Here is my take on this matter....must just say, that I am no expert.
I would harden at 1020 deg C to 1040 deg C. Then temper the blade at 200 - 250 deg C. To get the spring down to 45 - 48 HRc, temper at 620 deg C, although I would aim for a slightly harder spring of about 50 - 55 HRc, at 550 deg C.
Thanks Stefand. From the look of your knives I've had the pleasure of seeing, I would have to object to your summation of being no expert. I can only hope I can someday to turn out folders as nice as yours.