Cutting in finger holes

Look into Bi-metal hole saws. There are several sizes. I like Blu Mole or Lennox brands.
You will have to clamp the work piece securely and there will be some clean up around the edges.

I’m making finger holes. I have made a few of these now and have been looking for ways to more efficiently cut the finger holes out. Inside diameter on these is just slightly bigger than a quarter. I bought a couple of the step drill bits some of the guys mentioned and they have worked great for me so far!

Like a Karambit. Your index finger goes in the hole and the cutting edge faces away from you. Made purely for self defense. I’m a Deputy and I have the knife attached to my vest so the ring is all that is exposed. Easy to deploy with either hand.
Thanks for the info. I had no idear.! Stay safe.

I just recently bought some step drills and this makes me even more anxious to try them out!
Only thing I can add is- a drill press and vise are very important when drilling those larger holes (at least with conventional bits), as it seems the bit, when getting close to cutting through, will really want to dig in and pull the blank upward- which gets the blade-o-copter running. So. for me it's- keep the vise jaws clamped tight and the vise clamped down well to the table, so I can feed 'er nice and slow. -and lubricate.

I just recently bought some step drills and this makes me even more anxious to try them out!
Only thing I can add is- a drill press and vise are very important when drilling those larger holes (at least with conventional bits), as it seems the bit, when getting close to cutting through, will really want to dig in and pull the blank upward- which gets the blade-o-copter running. So. for me it's- keep the vise jaws clamped tight and the vise clamped down well to the table, so I can feed 'er nice and slow. -and lubricate.
I know a lot of folks are against wearing gloves, and around a lot of machines and operations that's smart but for drilling I always wear gloves to protect from hot chips and a better grip when that bit is breaking thru.

i also keep some short 1/2” carriage bolts and nuts next to my drill press. They work great in the t-slots as a stop to rest the blade spine against when drilling. Sometimes it’s faster than a vise and still prevents the helicopter of death.

Good idea, John! -for my other drill press, but...(didn't mean to take us off topic), ... I got this old Walker Turner together recently and really like it, but the table has no slots and It's kind of a pain clamping the vise down. Any suggestions? Its kind of a long reach for C-clamps. Let me know if I should back off here and start a new thread. Thx Drill Press L.jpgDrill Press R.jpg

Good idea, John! -for my other drill press, but...(didn't mean to take us off topic), ... I got this old Walker Turner together recently and really like it, but the table has no slots and It's kind of a pain clamping the vise down. Any suggestions? Its kind of a long reach for C-clamps. Let me know if I should back off here and start a new thread. Thx View attachment 71852View attachment 71853

All I can think of is a long jaw C-clamp vise grip. That is a very nice looking machine!

Good idea, John! -for my other drill press, but...(didn't mean to take us off topic), ... I got this old Walker Turner together recently and really like it, but the table has no slots and It's kind of a pain clamping the vise down. Any suggestions? Its kind of a long reach for C-clamps. Let me know if I should back off here and start a new thread. Thx View attachment 71852View attachment 71853

I guess you could run a ratchet strap through the vise and cinch it to the table once you get it where you want it. Or get some strong magnets. :D

I'll bet you could make something from that square pipe you have in the photo. Cut the pipe to the length of the table and then either drill (or mill if you have one) some slots to accommodate your vise.
Just an idea as a starting point.

Bill, that old press probably has a thick table, you might think of drilling and taping a series of holes to hold your vice. Deane

I have an auxiliary table made of thick mdf that is slightly larger than my drill press' table that I can attach my vise, etc., to, then move where I want the item and clamp the mdf to the drill's original table. Works for me most times without even clamping the aux. table to the press.

Thx for all the ideas on the drill press, everyone- gives me some things to think about! If I get around to upgrading it, I’ll try to post some pics of what worked.

Back