Cut my finger, having surgery to repair damage tomorrow. requesting prayers

Cameron Wilcox

I just finished a knife I need to have for fathers day, but when I was showing it off my hand slipped and slid up the blade and it cut deep into the top joint of my index finger. It severed the tendon and cut the nerves. I have no feeling in the tip n my finger, and cannot bend it. I have an appointment in Fresno, CA for a hand surgeon to repair it. The doc said I should be able to gain most of my range of motion and hopefully about 50% of the feeling in my finger after about 6 months of physical therapy.
Hoping all goes well, it was my first stitches and soon to be my first surgery so I'm a little nervous. Hoping and praying all ends well.
Here is my finger stitched up. I think i remember reading that it is okay as long as I don't show it bloody and such, if I'm wrong and this is too graphic, just let me know or take it down.
stitches.jpg

having trouble uploading the picture of the knife that caused it. but I'll try to get that up later.
** here is the knife that did it, i like how it turned out, just too bad i wont be able to have the sheath done in time, but at least he gets the knife.
knife.jpg
I'm not sure why it is posting the photos upside down, i'll have to try and figure it out tomorrow

Last edited:
Hope it goes well for you, and your on my prayer list. They can do amazing things today with our self inflicted injuries.

Wow Cameron, that looks painful. I persoanally am allurgic to pain and try to avoid it all costs. Take it from me, the worst thing about surgery is the anticipation of it.
The good news is...as you get older your reflexes will slow down.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Cameron,
Well it's good to see that block of Bocote wood all finished up of your Father's day knife project.

It's bad to see that you injured yourself. :biggrin:

All joking aside my friend, You are young and will heal very quickly compared to us mostly older farts around here and I have confidence that you will have a complete recovery.

I had a similar shop injury about 10 years ago from drilling out a hardened blade that got loose and became the helicopter of death as it spun into index finger of my right hand.:eek:

It buzzes and tingles a little still but I regained full use of it after about a year.

I had mentioned your visit to our knife shop/store to my wife and she now also adds in her prayers that you will have a complete recovery and be back to visit for some more knife talk and work at our store soon!

Our last parting words are,

Do what the doctor and PT people tell you to do!!!
Keep us all posted on your recovery and and heal up fast.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Thank you for the kind words and thoughts. Eric I realized through this experience I am pretty allergic to pain myself. I'll have to try a little harder to keep my hands in one piece next time. The knife turned out beautiful, but i does look nicer when it isn't in my finger. lol
I'll be sure to keep you all posted on how things are going

I tried to grab a falling wine glass at a family Christmas party, which was out of town for me. Glass broke, cut me right between the index and middle finger. My BIL sewed me up on a kitchen table and told me I cut the nerves to the index finger and to have nerve surgery, if I wanted. He said it would tingle for a while, but no loss of dexterity...just like HIS feels :) It's so nice to have an orthopedic surgeon for a BIL...especially one that carries an EMT kit.

I really don't notice the tingle any more. ...Teddy

Thank you for the kind words and thoughts. Eric I realized through this experience I am pretty allergic to pain myself. I'll have to try a little harder to keep my hands in one piece next time. The knife turned out beautiful, but i does look nicer when it isn't in my finger. lol
I'll be sure to keep you all posted on how things are going

Cameron,
Well your father will be proud to receive such a fine knife already baptized in your blood!

We are all allergic to pain! That is why it hurts. :what!:

Laurence

www.rinoknives.com

Hope you heal up fast, Cameron! I severed my ulnar nerve at my wrist when I was a teenager (with a Buck 119 and youthful indiscretion). A good surgeon and some rehab will have you back in the shop soon enough. At least the knife turned out beautifully!

Surgery went well, no complications yet. I can't work for 12 weeks minimum, so the doc said I may be eligible for disability to help with not working for so long. I have a follow up appt. on Friday so i'll learn more then. I'm thinking about buying a zipper pouch for it because the sheath will be so late. The knife is 8 1/8" OAL, a 9" pouch should be enough right? or should I get one bigger? Thank you for the prayers and well wishes.

You might look at a 10" pouch for her, but what works fine and is near free if you just need a little time for the sheath is a empty paper towel tube over the blade.

I know 12 weeks sounds like forever, use the time to study up on knife making and when you are ready to get back at it you will have a bit more knowledge under your belt.

Have a happy 4th of July.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

That's what I ended up buying, I thought I would play it safe and get one bigger. I got the stitches out last week and everything looks to be healing well, though slowly. The doc said I should have most of the strength and some of the range of motion back in 3 months. hopefully I can get back to grinding sooner than that but it is up to what they say can I can do.

Back