Custom Breacher Bar/Chisel

BRad704

Something a little different this time around, and I think I may have found a new "standard" handle type for my knives. :)

1084, flat chisel grind with convex tip.
hand finished to 800 on the flats, 45x Norax on the grinds
3-15/16" blade
8-1/2" overal
1/4" glass breaker
handle is 1/8" green canvas micarta
hardware is a medium sized removable chain link
Still need to etch my mark on it, make the kydex sheath and sharpen it...

20120924_132655.jpg

20120924_132712.jpg

20120924_132723.jpg

20120924_132750.jpg

20120924_132804.jpg

Brad,
Very interesting, I do see a potential problem with the chain pins giving hot spots with hard use, even with gloves.
That would look very cool though on a knife for a action movie.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I certainly see where you are coming from on the hot spots. I have another pair of links to try with some thicker material and I will countersink them so that there is much less "protrusion".

Hopefully it shouldn't be any worse on the hand than the clip of a pocketknife. I suppose...

Counter sinking would help a lot.
Good idea.
A pry bar is used with a lot more lateral pressure etc, than a knife handle with a draw or push cut motion.

I call entry bars like your's, "My universal invitation" What do you mean I wasn't invited??:biggrin:

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

After some thinking, I decided to go ahead and recess the hardware. Finished it this morning.

I don't have a mill, so I'm doing my inletting freehand with a router bit in my drill press... Some room for improvement there, but overall I like it, and it is less-harsh on the hand now.

20121004_111839.jpg

20121004_111858.jpg

Had to add some thickness to the handle. It's a bit "blocky", but still slim enough to be ok.

20121004_111924.jpg

Brad,
Nice improvement, I used that green canvas Micarta on my heavy camp blades. I would leave it at a 220 girt finish and it worked great with a nice grippy & textured feel to the handle.

Since you noted that you wanted to increase the handle thickness maybe some bright orange or green G-10 liners would help and give a splash of color if it get's dropped in the night while visiting someones house in a raid?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Yeah, a 1/8" layer of orange was my first idea, but the only orange I have is the textured G10 (with the peel off top). Didn't want to have a surface underneath that would hold moisture/grit.

Back