Curly maple hunter

Ty Adams

KNIFE MAKER
Last year I was fortunate enough to spend a week in John Doyle's shop. He is very generous with his time and knowledge. And by generous I mean generous, he spent an entire week helping fix my mistakes! He denies it but I think he got tired of it and tried to poison me. I was sick (poisned) the last couple of days which left me alone to finish the knife at home. Well a year later i finally got around to finishing it.

Forged 1075, wrought iron guard, titanium spacer, and curly maple handle. Edited to add photos of the handle.
20200423_195250_copy_1199x408.jpg20200423_200902.jpg20200424_044333_copy_691x921.jpg20200424_044229_copy_315x944.jpg20200424_044254_copy_399x1097.jpg

Last edited:
She's a beauty, love that curly maple handle! It has some serious even curl. A lot of times you will see a handle that looks good on one side and not so good on the other!!

A very good use of materials. Really like everything about it!

TY your work has always been excellent. You continue to reach higher plateaus and this one is going to be hard to beat!

Whoa!!! Ty, my man, that is beautiful! Really well done! I like style and color choice on the collar. I also want to say that the fit and finish on a knife like this is a battle.... and you won! Really, really fantastic (and inspiring ) work. I am still working on my first knife (made completely on 2 by 72) lol. Man, I’m jealous. Awesome job!

Whoa!!! Ty, my man, that is beautiful! Really well done! I like style and color choice on the collar. I also want to say that the fit and finish on a knife like this is a battle.... and you won! Really, really fantastic (and inspiring ) work. I am still working on my first knife (made completely on 2 by 72) lol. Man, I’m jealous. Awesome job!
Thank you Kevin. Having John walking me thru it helped a lot. He is great teacher, and by the time I had to leave felt confident that making a knife like this at home won't be that bad.
Good luck on completing that knife.

Back