CruForge V

Carbon-1.05
Chromium-0.50
Manganese-0.75
Vanadium-0.75

This steel was formulated by Crucible in a collaborative effort with several knowledgeable bladesmiths. The objective a steel that forges easily and performs well. It is said that all you have to do to heat treat this steel is "get it hot and quench it in something wet". I think it requires a little more effort than that but is a relatively easy steel to work with.
Here is the reccomended heat treat process.
1. Heat to 1500-1550 and equalize.
2. Quench in oil. A fast oil is reccomended.
3. Temper twice for 2 hours each time. Temper between 350 & 500 depending on the application.

I would be interested in any info. from people who have actually used this steel as far as thoughts on hardening, Normalizing/thermal cycling, tempering, & test results.

Darin,
I have a big bar of this stuff, I started banging it out back invthe summer, had made the decision to just make sure I
worked on it whenever I fired up the forge, well of course that aint what happened! As things usually work for me
I forgot about it and just rediscovered it a couple nights ago. When it is BIG, it doesn't seem to want yield very eazily
and I did have it HOT! Real hot, I even let it soak every time I forged it, I guess my TIRE Hammer needs some
adjustments. Got any ideas that might help with forging this stuff?

I have been away from the group for a while, I just found this new forum, And it is going to be AWESOME!
I can see this forum being the quick reference to finding HT info, using the search function, of course.
Rex

Hey Rex, good to see ya here, welcome. Sorry, but I haven't played with any of this stuff yet so I can't help with any tips. Maybe some of the other guys who have actually tested some of it can offer you some advice.

Hey Rex - good to see you back! Yes, Darrin is doing a GREAT job with this forum.

Ken H>

Yes, Darrin....thank you for assembling HT info together in one place. I have discussed CFV with the Professor the past few weeks, and hardened a blade the other day. If you are like me, don't have much equipment, and are hand sanding your blades......get the 55 gallon drum of elbow grease out. You'll need it. If properly treated, this stuff is a pain in the bunghole to polish. But that difficulty in finishing will translate to edge holding. For heat treating....normalizing is very necessary to get the most potential out of this steel. It is definitely a hypereuctoid steel, and we have excess carbon we need to unlock. With all the vanadium in there, and chromium as well, a higher normalization temp is necessary.....much the same with Aldo's 52100. If we were to apply the very same HT recipe Darrin recommended for Aldo's 52100 to CruForgeV, we would have great results.

For normalizing.....
1650F for 10 minutes, air cool to black, quench if you like
1550F equalize, air cool to black, quench if you like
1450F equalize, air cool to room temp

For hardening....
1500 for 5-10 minutes, quench in Parks 50, AAA, or 130F Canola.

2 tempers at 400 for 2 hours. ~ 61RC

Absolutely LOVE this steel. I wish they were still making it.

Thanks Stuart, thats the kind of info. we need on this stuff. I've heard that this stuff is a bear to finish but they also agree that the final product is worth it. I think I'll try some soon.

Hey Rex - good to see you back! Yes, Darrin is doing a GREAT job with this forum.

Ken H>

Hey Ken! Good to hear from you! You probably know better than most folks what all I've been going through, except I got worse, a lot worse!
My ventures into the shop are sporadic at best which beats the devil out of not going for at least 5 months straight!
I have been around the group its just agony having to look up and down at the screen then the keyboard, repeat and and again and well, it goes like that until I get done
with the post. To avoid unnecessary pain, I decided to speed more time studying and less time posting.
Good hearing from you You know a visit from you and Craig might be some good medicine, when ever you get some time! I'm sure the Mrs. would love for you to score some more of the "White Teak Burl"!
Holler at me when you get a chance, let me know what you've been up to and making!
REX
BTW, let me know what you did with that Snake Wood!!! It has got to be beautiful!!!!

I have only used this steel one time and let me tell you it is a bear to forge. My arm really felt it on this stuff! I treated it like 52100 personally since it is a hypereuctoid steel. I normalized the steel in my forge after forging to reduce any stresses that may be preset. I know what color in looking for at around 1600. I do it in the late evening so I can see the colors better. After normalizing I started grinding and again it was a bear to grind! Some tough stuff. I tried to drill holes in my tang.....no luck. I had to anneal using my forge and burying it in wood ash. Success! After holes drilled and ground I fired up my oven and normalized again 3 times at 1650. Then I went into thermal cycling treating it just like 52100. 1650 for 5 min, then quench, 1550 for 5 min, then quench, 1450 for 5 min cool to black then quench. I used a fast commercial quench from McMaster Carr. Then into the oven at 1550 for 10 min soak and quench. Tempered at 400 for 2 hrs. Temper again at 400 for 2 hrs. I feel like I did the best of my ability to get the most out of the steel doing it this way. I didn't do a hand rubbed finish cause I have heard it is a real bear. I hollow ground the blade and it was tough stuff! I will be using more of this tough stuff again! I have attached some pics of the knife
aheraryb.jpg

japydu2u.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the post Taylormade!! Really good looking knife you got there. I'm still working on my personal CFV blade in between orders, and will get pics up of it as well. Not as cool as yours, tho!!! Thank you for your heat treat recipe as well. I austenitized at the lower range (1500f) on my second CFV blade, and I don't think it has quite the wear resistance of my first CFV blade, which was austenitized closer to 1550f. To get the most out of those alloying elements, maybe that higher temp is better. Seems like my second CFV blade is a bit easier to hand sand than my first one. This has been my latest pondering......in this high carbon alloy steels.....which is going to give best edge retention....the higher aust temps or the lower aust temps?

typically higher temperatures is going to increase grain size, so your ?? step thermal cycling process is all for nothing. how about doing more grinding and sanding before hardening?

That is why they added the vanadium....to keep grain size down, especially if temp control isn't as good as it should be. Going through a thermal cycle(s) to reduce grain size won't be totally blown away by austentizing at 1550. The vanadium being a great aid in keeping grain size small. Take any steel that you want to reduce grain size.....usually that last heat during thermal cycling/normalizing is way below austentizing temps, but we don't negate all that work when we go to harden. And it is to my understanding that what we are doing is actually creating more nucleation sites every thermal cycle so that more grains form there. And again, I'm just trying to learn this stuff. I am no expert.

If it were a simple 1095 steel, I would absolutely say to harden no higher than 1500...and is best at 1475 or below. There are basically no alloying elements. However, with 52100 or CFV there are alloys added to the steel to aid in hardening, grain size, edge retention, etc....and to get the carbon and those alloys into solution and distributed evenly, we go through those normalizing steps. My question that I guess I'm just going to have to test myself, is why such a huge (50 to 75 degrees) allowance in aust temperatures on these alloy steels? If everything has been set up properly during thermal cycling, do we use the higher or lower temps? I just don't know enough to answer that myself.

I'm sorry, but I'm at a loss as to what you mean by "how about doing more grinding and sanding before hardening."

OK, I think I answered my own question. I just downloaded the book Metallurgy for non metalurgist by John Verhoeven. Awesome material. In looking at a simple phase diagram, a steel with carbon content of 1.15%, in order to get it to austenite, it needs to be between 1525 and 1550 degrees. So simple, I should have done more research.

Thanks for the post Taylormade!! Really good looking knife you got there. I'm still working on my personal CFV blade in between orders, and will get pics up of it as well. Not as cool as yours, tho!!! Thank you for your heat treat recipe as well. I austenitized at the lower range (1500f) on my second CFV blade, and I don't think it has quite the wear resistance of my first CFV blade, which was austenitized closer to 1550f. To get the most out of those alloying elements, maybe that higher temp is better. Seems like my second CFV blade is a bit easier to hand sand than my first one. This has been my latest pondering......in this high carbon alloy steels.....which is going to give best edge retention....the higher aust temps or the lower aust temps?

No problem! Glad to share. I am still learning all this stuff myself and I think I'm just now starting to grasp all this.

HT'ing info for CruForgeV

That is why they added the vanadium....to keep grain size down, especially if temp control isn't as good as it should be. Going through a thermal cycle(s) to reduce grain size won't be totally blown away by austentizing at 1550. The vanadium being a great aid in keeping grain size small. Take any steel that you want to reduce grain size.....usually that last heat during thermal cycling/normalizing is way below austentizing temps, but we don't negate all that work when we go to harden. And it is to my understanding that what we are doing is actually creating more nucleation sites every thermal cycle so that more grains form there. And again, I'm just trying to learn this stuff. I am no expert.

If it were a simple 1095 steel, I would absolutely say to harden no higher than 1500...and is best at 1475 or below. There are basically no alloying elements. However, with 52100 or CFV there are alloys added to the steel to aid in hardening, grain size, edge retention, etc....and to get the carbon and those alloys into solution and distributed evenly, we go through those normalizing steps. My question that I guess I'm just going to have to test myself, is why such a huge (50 to 75 degrees) allowance in aust temperatures on these alloy steels? If everything has been set up properly during thermal cycling, do we use the higher or lower temps? I just don't know enough to answer that myself.

I'm sorry, but I'm at a loss as to what you mean by "how about doing more grinding and sanding before hardening."

When Crucible wanted to make a "high tech" forging steel, they got with several knife makers and asked them their opinions\advice in what was needed to make this steel the best forging steel on the market. From what I've read, I still haven't gotten the big hunk I bought forged down to a reasonable size so I still can't say I have experience with it, but what I read was to do the Thermal Cycles, get it red hot and let it cool to dark, 3X's, after that, the HT is simple, get it red hot and quench it, the temper was basically around 400 degrees 2X's, the statement was made that it was almost impossible to NOT get this steel hardened. That it could be done in a forge easily, with no special equipment needed. That was the goal Crucible was after and from what I've heard it looks to be like it maybe a very good steel for knifemakers.
The difficulty in grinding it, I'm not aware of, but I will soon find out, it is easily possible that you got a bad piece that may have slipped through their Q&A crack..., not likely but anything can happen. I do know that Smelters will have bad batches from time to time, be it from too much left overs in the crucible (the big bucket they melt the steel in, not the company), or other elements that can be absorbed from the air during the smelt.
The first thing I was thinking after reading about it being hard to grind was, " how tough of a knife will this stuff make, if it is hard to grind and it's not hardened yet!"

If this stuff is everything they say it is and can do, it should be an awesome steel for knifemakers, I won't know until I make a knife out of it.
Rex
******************************************************************************************
JUST EDITED 3/11/14, WITH THE HTing info for CruForgeV

Here is the actual text I was referring to:

"CruForge V was developed specifically for forging into knives. Scott Devanna coordinated with knifemakers when developing the steel. The result is an excellent steel that forges and performs very well.

CruForge V is easy to forge but tougher to finish than any of the 10XX steels or 52100. The tradeoff is edgeholding. The vanadium in CruForge makes it hold an edge longer than the 10XX steels and 52100."

Now with that said, it DEFINITLEY DOES LOOK LIKE IT WILL BE A BEAR TO GRIND and HANDSAND. BUT! The trade off is EDGE- HOLDING!!! So, the thing to do is to take it to as close to finished, if not all the way finished before HTing the blade. And then, of course finishing it, AGAIN! After the blade has been Tempered. Not a major deal to me, as I just about do my knives that way now....I found out a long time ago that the sooner I get it away from the grinder, the better for ME! And I still spend an incredible amount of time hand sanding, almost to the point (and actually to THE point or edge) of sharpening several knives. I just found what was my way, and what I tell all new makers,"The best way for you to make a knife is the best way YOU, can make a knife". What works for others won't work for everyone, for me, I was getting the first few knives I was making a l m o s t done, then a burp here or a bump there and the blade was scrap! So this was the best way for me to remedie the problem and I have had 100% SUCCESS since, it just takes me forever to make a knife!!! I am getting better and since I got The Bubble Jig , my speed has increased as well!

And just for kicks here is the HT info. I tried to copy the chart but it wouldn't copy, I will try again once I can get on a real puter and off this iPad !!!! From what it looked like to me the Temper temp is 425, for a Rc 58-59! From the looks of the chemical break down it say the Maganese is .75 percent. I can't recall if it needs to be below 3% or .3% to get a HAMON!!!! WOW! A Hamon on that steel = a gluten for punishment!!!!! Or just plain dumb, so if it is within the boundaries to get a Hamon, I WILL attempt to...maybe, I might be dumb, but I ain't stupid! That will be really tough to accomplish..but, how cool would it be? And how many would there be???? Not many I'm thinking! And here is the HT info, REX

Heat Treating Information:
Austenitize: Heat to 1500-1550°F and equalize. Quench in oil.
Temper: Double temper at 400-500°F recommended. Approximate hardness after double tempering is shown below. Actual hardness will depend on hardening temperature and quench rate.( the "chart below" it is referring to is the one that I could not get to copy) I'll try again later.

Last edited:
When Crucibal wanted to make a "high tech" forging steel, they got with several knife makers and asked them their opinions\advice in what was needed to make this steel the best forging steel on the market. From what I've read, I still haven't gotten the big hunk I bought forged down to a reasonable size so I still can't say I have experience with it, but what I read was to do the Thermal Cycles, get it red hot and let it cool to dark, 3X's, after that, the HT is simple, get it red hot and quench it, the temper was basically around 400 degrees 2X's, the statement was made that it was almost impossible to NOT get this steel hardened. That it could be done in a forge easily, with no special equipment needed. That was the goal Crucible was after and from what I've heard it looks to be like it maybe a very good steel for knifemakers.
The difficulty in grinding it, I'm not aware of, but I will soon find out, it is easily possible that you got a bad piece that may have slipped through their Q&A crack..., not likely but anything can happen. I do know that Smelters will have bad batches from time to time, be it from too much left overs in the crucible (the big bucket they melt the steel in, not the company), or other elements that can be absorbed from the air during the smelt.
The first thing I was thinking after reading about it being hard to grind was, " how tough of a knife will this stuff make, if it is hard to grind and it's not hardened yet!"

If this stuff is everything they say it is and can do, it should be an awesome steel for knifemakers, I won't know until I make a knife out of it.
Rex

I promise it is a bear to forge and grind. I think your right though it should be tough as nails and make one heck of a user.

I didn't find it hard to forge at all, and whether it's hard to grind or not depends on how much it air hardens. The blades I let air cool in a warm shop were fine to grind. The one I let cool outside when it was -18F is pretty dang hard. If one were to anneal after normalizing, I think it'd grind like anything else. I've not finish ground or heat treated my CruV blades yet, but I intend to take them to a much higher grit belt finish than normal in anticipation of fun times hand sanding.

Just to clarify my statement on my two CFV blades. I did not have a problem with either. Both are extremely hard, and both were extremely difficult to hand sand after heat treating. One was hardened close to 1550 and it was extremely difficult to hand polish afterwards. The second was hardened at 1500, and it was extremely difficult to hand sand as well.....just not quite as difficult as the 1550....I swear it was that big of a differnece in hand sanding. Before heat treating (I don't forge.....stock removal only), the stuff came from AKS like butter. Super soft and a dream to grind/drill. Very spherodized, I would say. My opinion of CFV in stock removal, if you don't go through good normalizing/thermal cycling steps, you will not get the most out of it. A simple heat to 1500 and quench will make a great blade for sure, but proper set up before austenitizing really makes this stuff shine. My concern was such a wide suggestion by Crucible of aust temperature (1500-1550). If you take into account many knifemakers say that hypereutectoids should stay at or below 1475 with a soak....that's 75 degrees of variance. So which is best?

I posted late last night that I thought I had it figured out with a phase diagram...but I'm not sure now. More reading of John Verhoeven's book today!!!

OK, I think I answered my own question. I just downloaded the book Metallurgy for non metalurgist by John Verhoeven. Awesome material. In looking at a simple phase diagram, a steel with carbon content of 1.15%, in order to get it to austenite, it needs to be between 1525 and 1550 degrees. So simple, I should have done more research.

Are you going for 100% austenite? For the final hardening step of a hypereutectoid steel, that isn't normally recommended. Choosing the temperature is determined by a handful of questions that the maker will need to answer for him/herself.

As I mentioned in one of the posts, edge retention is what I am after. Why is not 100% austenite not recommended? If we have a steel that has excess carbon, I want to put that carbon to use in edge retention. I'm not overly concerned about a blade that will chop down a tree, but one that is going to have the best, longest lasting edge I can get. That's why I choose hypereutectoids.

Back