Craziness!!

You guys and Forged in Fire kill me.

Its a knifemaking and testing TV show!!! We get to watch some guys with some amazing skills try and make knives in a few hours and swords in 5 days. It is fun to watch and brings attention to custom made knives! I hate seeing people dog on it....i know its not for everyone but there is nothing like it on that remotely relates to custom knives.

It isn't the talent on FiF that irritates me. It's the unreal time constraints that the producers invented to add plenty of DRAMA. I truly doubt any maker on that show would say what they did is representative of their finest work....

I much enjoy youtube videos where guys work at their pace...and every camera angle does not have to have a shower of sparks to hold my interest....

I don't see anyone dogging on FiF. All I see are knife makers saying to other knife makers that they would prefer to see a few things done differently. That's what discussion is all about.

I also wish they would adjust the time constraint. I don't think the general public cares whether the makers have 3 hours or 8 hours. Personally, I'd rather see the makers have adequate time to turn in something that is at least representative of a custom knife. If it's going to fail due to poor heat treat or geometry then it's still going to fail if you give them time to make a presentable knife.

I don't want it to become what the Food Network has devolved into: "Here's a can of corn and some Cheerios... you have one hour to make a wedding cake." There is no chef sitting at home who believes crap like that is a fair representation of what being a chef is, nor is it what they want the restaurant going public to believe is representative of the years and effort they put into perfecting their craft. Likewise, I'm not going to pretend some TV network is doing custom knifemakers any favors by having knifesmiths beat a leaf spring into shape and use truck tires for a handle.

LOL...yes they do some crazy cooking on food network.

Its not just this thread but other forums Im on Ihave seen people bashing it...but hey to each his own.

As we all know its about ratings and getting viewers. If you give them more time it would be better for the smiths for sure but then you wouldn't have the drama and that makes for good TV.

Back