Cpm 154???

Jeff Conti

While I'm not new to knife making (1977) I have been away from it for about 4-5 years... and now, in searching for my favorite SS (154 CM) I find CPM 154. I understand that the CPM is a powdered metal. Since I heat treat my own blades and am satisfied with my process, I wonder if the CPM is a different process and or has different properties. I also wonder as to the manufacturers (US or foreign). I am loathe to switch steels... Perhaps I'm getting old timers disease "I don't need that new fangled thing." I remember when ATS 34 became big. I tried one knife out of that steel and never looked back. I hated the notion that yet another foreign company would edge in on Crucibles great steel... pardon the pun. So, do any of you know whose producing it, are the properties different and is the heat treat process any different (if yes, where can I look to get started). In advance... thank you.

Datasheet here

It heat treats the same (or very close). It is twice as tough at the same hardness. (means OK to go thinner behind the edge for better cutting) and it is considered at least as easy to polish as 154CM (though my own mirror polish on everything is an embarassment).

It is made by Crucible Inc. in the US. (but not the same Crucible you knew)

Most love it. Having said that, your old favorite 154CM is still an excellent steel, forming the lions share of many maker's offerings.

ATS34 as you know is a fine alloy, but around 04/05 or so started showing up with internal inclusions. (See BLADE mag Oct. 2006)

Rob!

Oh yes, one more thing may have changed since you were making knives before. It is now generally accepted that CRYO treatment has great value at bringing out the best in most of our knife making high alloy stainless steels. They work as good as ever without - but seem have an edge (pardon the pun) with cryo.

Welcome back.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. That is what I was looking for. I just posted a tutorial on cryo treatment so maybe I'll buy a bar and give it a shot. Thanks again.

Back