Cowboy Bowie

LRB

Fresh off the bench. A medium sized basic Bowie knife with a 7" x 1 1/4" x 3/16" blade of 01 tool steel, a through tang peened over a 3/16" thick nickel silver butt cap, 1/8" thick nickel silver guard, and a very nice Sambar elk antler grip. This piece of Sambar elk had barely a hint of pith, if any real pith at all. Very solid and white to the core. I was extremely pleased to find such a nice piece. Hope you enjoy a look.

Wick, I did enjoy the look and as usual was pleased as too what I see. While it is a step somewhat from your normal forte. I had to ask myself as I waiting for the pics to open, What is Wick's idea of a Cowboy Bowie"?

So I contented myself with reading the description again as the PC I am on since I was struck by lighting struggles for speed! However when the pics opened I was pleasantly pleased as usual!

Since I first got interested in knife making, I have only come to know a few makers that have such unique styles, that I can often tell one of there knives without knowing or seeing the name associated with that knife! I could propagate that list on one hand and possibly have a finger left over!

Wick, your work is one of them, it is timeless and leaves your eye looking for nothing but perfection. I often look at a piece and say why did the maker not do this or that, or wow it is a shame they left that flaw! Not a question I have when I look at one of yours. In fact I often look at one of your knives and say, well why the hell, have I never thought of that!

Another fine piece Wick! It is hard to beat simple elegance. It is like a woman with just the right touch of make-up and a hint of perfume, not dressed up too much or too little, but,..................simple elagance, "just right"!

Now please do not take my simplified analogy of Wick's work as I am saying his work is simple, I am saying his work makes it look simple, and he will be the first too tell you there is nothing simple about knife making. I often refer to him as my adopted mentor because when I first started in this knife making he took the time to explain somethings to me, no matter how many dumb questions I kept coming back with until I was satisfied with the answers he was giving! He gave me names of some folks and said, "when you see something by this person, pay attention, because you will find they are very knowledgeable"! He was right on with all of his advice!!! Even though we live in the same state, I have never meant Wick in person but before I pass from this world I hope to!!

Once again my friend, excellent work, excellent work!!!!

Last edited:
Wick, I did enjoy the look and as usual was pleased as too what I see. While it is a step somewhat from your normal forte. I had to ask myself as I waiting for the pics to open, What is Wick's idea of a Cowboy Bowie"?

So I contented myself with reading the description again as the PC I am on since I was struck by lighting struggles for speed! However when the pics opened I was pleasantly pleased as usual!

Since I first got interested in knife making, I have only come to know a few makers that have such unique styles, that I can often tell one of there knives without knowing or seeing the name associated with that knife! I could propagate that list on one hand and possibly have a finger left over!

Wick, your work is one of them, it is timeless and leaves your eye looking for nothing but perfection. I often look at a piece and say why did the maker not do this or that, or wow it is a shame they left that flaw! Not a question I have when I look at one of yours. In fact I often look at one of your knives and say, well why the hell, have I never thought of that!

Another fine piece Wick! It is hard to beat simple elegance. It is like a woman with just the right touch of make-up and a hint of perfume, not dressed up too much or too little, but,..................simple elagance, "just right"!

Now please do not take my simplified analogy of Wick's work as I am saying his work is simple, I am saying his work makes it look simple, and he will be the first too tell you there is nothing simple about knife making. I often refer to him as my adopted mentor because when I first started in this knife making he took the time to explain somethings to me, no matter how many dumb questions I kept coming back with until I was satisfied with the answers he was giving! He gave me names of some folks and said, "when you see something by this person, pay attention, because you will find they are very knowledgeable"! He was right on with all of his advice!!! Even though we live in the same state, I have never meant Wick in person but before I pass from this world I hope to!!

Once again my friend, excellent work, excellent work!!!!

Thank you Cliff for the very kind words. I believe you may be over rating my work, but if I have been of any help to you, I am very glad to have been, and you are most welcome. Thanks again, and take care.

Back