Couple of Etching questions...

Kentucky

I have a couple of questions about etching..I did a search but didnt get the answer I was looking for..I found a 12V AC power supply to darken our mark with after etching with a 12V DC power supply..I dont have a problem getting a good etch with the DC, well one small problem but ill get to that in a minute..
* First question..when you blacken the mark with the AC if your not careful when cleaning the etch you can rub some of the black right out of the mark...The mark looks deep enough? maybe its not?
Ok, I am using saltwater but am making an order from Tracy..Im going to go ahead and order a bottle of Electrolyte 94...I have been using cotton Q-tips..Would a regular hand marker be better? Do you think the Electrolyte 94 will help darken the etch better? Is there something else i should be looking at? 12V AC transformer to little amperage perhaps?
Another question...I dont use much salt water(dab the q-tip mostly dry) but still get some halo effect around the etch that has to be sanded off..Will the Electrolyte 94 help solve this problem? We use Ernies stencils..
* Another question..Ive read in some other hobby circles that people are using model train transformers to etch with..The ones i looked at were Variable voltage..0-18V.Then they also have a 16 V AC connection as wel(for track lights and such)l..The AC is not variable though..I know they can be had cheap.So they are 0-18V DC and 16V AC..Anyone tried one of these?
Any help.comments appreciated..Thanks

I used saltwater for many mediocre etches for nearly two years. Finally I spent $5 and got some etching solution from Tracy. My etches instantly became crisp and clear. I'm an idiot for not spending the $5 sooner.

I have a pad, and I have better results with a Qtip, don't know why. I use electrolite that came with my Personelizer Plus etcher, and get a good dark mark on carbon steel, but on CPm 154, and 440C it is not as dark as I would like.

I very seldom clean after the etch, if all goes well that is, my etch is the last thing that I do before putting on handles, and cleaning an etch on a mirror finish is a problem.

I also use Ernies stencils, and have found one cause of the halo effect is the stencil not being tight flat against the steel. With the Qtip, I soak it good and then use a cloth to get the excess out, just so it is damp all the way through, not wringing wet just damp, it conducts the current better when damp all the way through.

The train transformer sounds like a good way to go, but the AC may be to much. Before i got my etcher, I used an AC transformer from Radio Shack to mark with, don't remember the voltage, and an old 12VDC power supply for CB radioes to do the etch, it worked well, maybe as good as the Personelizer Plus does.

Hope this helps some
Dale

Back