Counterbore help

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
Hi Gang!

Looking for some input/advice. I'm just about fed up with HSS and Cobalt counterbores....seems like I buy 2-3 every month, and just keep wearing them out on Ti folder frames. What I'm looking for is a counterbore thats 5/16" OD, with a 1/8" pilot. I use these for cutting bearing pockets on the insides of frames, and to counterbore the frame outsides for pivot screw heads. I've searched MSC, Enco, Hannibal, etc. and just can't seem to find what I'm looking for. If anybody has a source for a carbide tipped, or even solid carbide counterbore with 5/16" cut diameter, and 1/8" pilot, throw me a bone! :)

Thanks for the input! I've tried the end mills.....without a pilot, things get just enough out of alignment to be wrong. :) I'll take a look at Lakeshore and see what they can do. Thanks!!

I'm looking for exactly the same thing Ed. If you stumble onto some please let me know.

I'm about ready to have some made again if I can't find a wholesaler..

Let me know if you start handling something like that Tracy! I've looked all over the web....and have emailed a few outfits. Those who replied said they will special make them, but have a minimum order of 15 pcs...at about $68 each for carbide tipped. About the only place I found that would sell what I wanted individually was Travers tool or Rock Ridge tool....at just over $70 each.

If I can get through the folders that are on the bench right now will the remaining HSS counterbores I have in the shop, I might just have to invest in a couple of the carbide tipped ones (haven't found any yet that are solid carbide).

Ed, sounds like an opportunity for a group of smiths to pool resources and place an order.
Just sayin'

I'm SUBSCRIBED just incase incase you do make a large
purchase, I would like to have at least one of those!
To make life a bit easier, on an already maxed out mind!!!!
Only if you decde to, but don't do it unless you have them
all sold! Then again, we can just wait on Tracy....
that shouldn't take too long, keeping lead times on things like this
in mind, and patience!!!
Rex

Another thought that came to me via a PM from one of our memebers....... anybody know of any "good" outfits/people who can regrind carbide? In my case I could purchase some quality carbide 5/16" end mills, and have then reground with a 1/8" pilot...I've never dealt with anyone who regrinds carbide, so it would be new territory for me. :)

Last edited:
Another thought that came to me via a PM from one of our memebers....... anybody know of any "good" outfits/people who can regrind carbide? In my case I could purchase some quality carbide 5/16" end mills, and have then reground with a 1/8" pilot...I've never dealt with anyone who regrinds carbide, so it would be new territory for me. :)

Ed, I used to make c'bores for fellow Knifemakers from drills and end mills. You should be able to find somebody in your area that will grind an end mill for you. Google tool grinding shops in your area.

I'd do it for you, but I've sold all my equipment. :15:

Thanks Don! I've looked online....but theres nothing here in Great Falls....at least on the net. Next time I'm running around town, I plan to see what info I can glean from my local sources. Its beginning to look like the simplest route is going to be just buy a couple of the carbide tipped, interchangable pilot counterbores for bearing pockets and pivot screws. It would be really nice to find a carbide grinder......would really like to have 9/64" with a .086 pilot for counterboring 2-56 screws from TiConnector!

I know there are some out there. I'll have to check with Dad this weekend. Years ago when I was programming, setting up, and running a couple of CNC mills in a small shop, we had a job that has a bunch of small Inconel parts that needed to be made. We went through a hundred or so carbide end mills and had them all ground off and resharpened several times each before the job was done. I was hating life for a couple of months as Inconel is some nasty stuff to try and work with.

After a couple of weeks of chasing this thing...... I'm not sure what I'm gona do. The plan of buying carbide end mills and having them reground with a pilot is out the window. Everyone I've contacted (those that even bother to call me back or reply to an email) have a 10 piece minimum, and want about 4X what the carbide end mill costs to do the regrind. I'm certainly not opposed to paying a fair price for something, but I simply can't afford to wrap up a total of $100+ per piece for reground end mills. Pretty frustrating. For the size(s) I want/need, that are commercially available, I'm just gona bite the bullet and buy them.....not sure just yet what I'll do for the sizes I need that are not commercially available.

Steve and I both have been working on it, and his experieces have been simlar to mine...... those compaines who have the sizes we're looking for refuse to sell unless its through a distributor, which means the price is back up to the $80 or so per unit..... and when we've been able to find a decent price on mulitples, emails and calls go unanswered.

Steve and I both have been working on it, and his experieces have been simlar to mine...... those compaines who have the sizes we're looking for refuse to sell unless its through a distributor, which means the price is back up to the $80 or so per unit..... and when we've been able to find a decent price on mulitples, emails and calls go unanswered.

I can probably help. Send me a PM or email with the info if you want me to check.
t

Just a follow up. Finally got an answer back. Looks like the local company that they use at the shop would be in the ~$100 range for custom ground counterbores. Sorry.

Back