Corby bolt problem

CRWhit

I am relatively new to building knives. So far I have assembled 5 using premade blades from Jantz and other dealers. Most have used pins for the scales but I am working on my first using Corby bolts. When I did the mock up the corby bolts seemed like they were in deep enough but when I epoxied everything together it seems like I didn't get them deep enough. In the process of sanding the scales I now can see that I am almost through to the center threads. What is the best way to try to salvage this knife? I thought about drilling the center of the bolt and putting a pin through. The other thought was to drill the threads out and heat the remaining pin to soften the epoxy and drive it out and replace with a new corby. This knife has to be finished soon so I can pack my tools for a move to another house.

thanks,
Chris :31:

You might try a small bolt puller on the male side of the bolt to back that side out and then use a thin rod to knock the female side out. You will probably have to heat the handle of the knife to soften the epoxy on both sides.

Doug

If you are confident that the scales will hold and you can get a hole drilled dead center, then I would suggest you drill through and use a contrasting color pin. I once had this problem and used a piece of 1/8" diameter Mosaic Pin to fill it and it worked well.
Just a suggestion.

After drilling through the center of the female side, I was able to drive the male out. I think my mistake was not shortening the female side. It went through the tang and was stopped from going deeper by the scale on the other side. At least the kid I used included some extra corby bolts.

Back