Copper Mokume and Buffolo horn

backtines

Finished this one up last night .
Coper mokume bolsters with a few mosaic pins. Handle is buffolo horn with 3/16 copper pins. Blade is 1095.
Overall length 8.5". The sheath is 8/9 oz material and I still love that Java brown dye .
Now after looking at these pics , I think it needs a real good cleaning !

Thanks for looking and critique is always welcome.
MIke

Looks great, Mike!!!

Keep a scrap of the buffalo horn scale and sharpen one corner nice and pointy, it is great for cleaning out the tight corners around the ricasso and guard or bolsters with out scratching the metal.

Steve

Mikey,
You are kicking butt now!!! All I want to know is, where did you get the Buff horn! Every piece I've had has had some WHITE come through! Then the 2 sides wouldn't match very well, it's natural material and expected, but you got them all BLACK!!! Tell me your secret!!! I've got some Honey Buff, I got at BLADE 4 years ago, beautiful stuff, just too unpredictable for me. Keep up the work Bud, your like a machine, I know I can't keep up with you! Rex

Very Nice...love the mokume with the mosaics and that horn with it is awesome! Nice sheath too- great custom look to package-

Last edited:
Thank you all for the nice comments and thanks for that great tip Steve ( sharpening a piece of buf horn to get into the nooks and crannies )
Much Thanks Guys !

I love it. You did a great job on this one. I'm not surprised, you have always done some impressive work.
Can you give me some particulars on the dye for the sheath....where you got it, and for how much..

Great looking combo , Im diggin the "java" brown dye too, looks great.

Did you peen the mosaics into the bolsters ? I have always wanted to try it but figured it would ruin the pattern.

Eric the dye I use is Java Brown , I got it from Tandy Leather, I think the bottle was 4 oz. it was a few bucks and lasts a pretty long time .I use a felt dobber and I dont try to cover the sheath evenly , i leave it light and dark it spots . While still wet I use this antique dye (also from Tandy ) its kinda creamy when you put it on .. I cover the whole sheath heavy (making sure it gets into those nooks and crannies. I let dry , then hit it with some steel wool . The stel wool will take what it wants and leave the rest behind.. You then can put whatever sheen you want and buff to your desire. Its been workin great for me.

Greg , the way I mounted these pieces of mokume is the same way I mount all my bolsters ( peened pins ) the only difference is I cut the bolsters at 30 degrees ( for a tighter and better fit )

Dwane , I did peen the pins but when sanding down everything the pattern will reappear ( you get some expansion on the pins below the surface of the bolsters too which helps in holding them ) just make sure you counter sink the peen holes a small amount . it gives some room for the peened pin to go . So between the peening and the dove tails on the bolsters , they arent going anywhere.

Thanks again guys , hope this helps

Back