Copper M3 and some HHH

backtines

Made this one for a friend who picked out the handle material. He wanted a piece of damascus. The damascus was made by our very own brother, Randy, with HHH (thanks bro). The handle material is M3. The bolsters and pins are copper. During heat treat, I added a little too much anti-scaling compound to the spine, which caused the spine not to harden as evenly as the rest of the blade. It actually left a hamon. Don't know if hamons are mainly used with damascus, but I think this looks pretty cool. What do you guys think?

OL 9.5", steel damascus by HHH, leather 8/9 oz.,

Thanks for looking.

I like this one Mike.
I have some of that M3 but can't bring myself to use it as scales. It feels a bit heavy to me but may make nice bolsters someday. The anti-scale compound may have nothing to do with the hamon, on 1095 I've had hamons without any coatings. It may be blade geometry and quench medium related... or not. Nice work.

Rudy

WOW, Great job Mikey!! That is one classy lookin cutter. Iv never used that material and think I need to do a GOOGLE search! :) I can see it as a guard or set of bolsters for sure.

Last edited:
I like it.
And, like Dozier, I like copper.
Looks great now but I really like copper as it ages and develops a patina.
Nice steel too!

Thanks to all my bros for the kind words. I'm gonna try to heavy up the spine with some anti scale on the next one .. That may be my new way to create Harmon's . You guys all rock !! Thanks again bros.
I think I'm gonna lay on the couch tonight and take the night off from knives.. Crazy day today at work.

Thank You Cal , I tried something a little different with the sheath this time around . I started with one design on paper and I went in a completely different direction .

You hit that one out of the park Mike- the hamon adds interesting detail to the blade- the sheath is awesome too- great job.

Back