Cool find , but need a little help

backtines

Hey Guys , I was over my cousins house helping him with his motor cycle and I noticed this little lathe he had sitting on the bench doing nothing . Long short , he gave me the lathe with a pile of cutters , belts , differnt jaws and all kinds of parts for nothing . He was just happy to get it out of garage cause he wanted the room ..

Anyway , the lathe did not have a control pannel on it, or any id numbers . It looks like a little grizzley. After making a few phone calls , I was able to locate a pannel for this thing , but I have no idea how to hook it up or where these wires go ..

You can tell from the pics the white , black and green come from the power sorce and the blue and brown have clips on the end. Where they go ? beats the ---- out of me .

Does anyone have any clue where these wires go? Any help would be great.

Thanks Guys ,
Mike

Great score Mikey !

I could offer an educated guess but it would be just that... a guess. The right person could tell you exactly how to wire that up in a couple minutes.

I will offer this advice though. Once we get into the realm of machine tools like Mills, Lathes, Surface grinders etc. there are ALOT of resources on the web such as The Practical Machinist etc.

For machine specific resources try this mini-lathe yahoo group. Many machinist type folks trick these machines out and hot-rod them etc and I'd bet you could get advice there quickly relating to your exact machine

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/7x12minilathe/

If you can read a wiring diagram then your machine is most likely one of these machines-

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/reference/wiringdiagrams.php

With the green paint this could be Grizzly but older Central Machinery (Harbor Freight brand) were green also. Whichever it is though My guess would be that this is an older unit judging by the look of the tailstock and differences in the carriage from a current Grizzly machine.

Good luck getting this little bad boy up and running !

-Josh

If it is a Grizzly, they may have some on line down loads. I've down loaded manuals from their site.

ric

I just checked out the links Josh linked. It appears all the diagrams show the AC power going to the Red master on/off switch.
And the motor wires (Blue and brown I am guessing) go to the Fwd/Rev switch.
Goodluck
CW

Thanks again guys and thank you Josh for the lead .. Shes up and running !

This thing works sweet !

I called the little machine shop and they walked me right through it .. no problem at all .

Thanks

Back