Competition Throwers

superdave

This is a match set of 3. I made them from 1084, they are 13 inches and right at 22 oz. Scales are Guayacan. They will be thrown in the World Championships this November, Thanks for looking :)

-sd

005.jpg008.jpg010.jpg002.jpg

Would you be willing to explain the reasoning behind the blade grind? It looks like the
rather wide, thick part where the clip starts may be there to improve balance for throwing?

Dan its a couple of things, first it's a style point, I'm trying to keep as much of the Bowie style to the thrower as possible, so you get the wide section where the false blade meets the clip. Second it provides an index point when throwing by the blade for your index finger. In competition we throw half spins by the blade, and full spins by the handle. Its pretty easy to grab the handle consistently, but the blade is a little more difficult so it helps to have something to "index" your finger to. I think you are right about the balance as well. Most of our practice throwers have no scales, pommels or guard, and once those are added I think you need a little more weight out on the end of the knife. The aggressive flat grind is to remove some of the weight from the knife as well. I like to use 1/4 inch stock because of the tremendous stress on these knives throw after throw, and a simple appleseed grind would leave several ounces of steel on the knife, causing it to be too heavy to throw from a 3 spin distance. That is the longest distance we compete at. Probably more than you ever wanted to know, but thanks for the interest :)

Having made a few throwers myself, those look to me as though they will throw quite nicely. And they'll look great sticking in the target!

Back