Competition Cutter

antigoth24

Here is a project I've been working on for the past few days I wanted to try my hand at making a cutting competition style knife and this was the result. I used 1084 and clay coated it for the hamon and the handle is a laminate of water buffalo horn, bocote, black ash burl, and dyed curly maple. I am going to be making a wooded South East Asian style of sheath for it and will post photos later when that is done. All comments are welcome and thanks for looking.

Robert

OAL: 14 1/2 inches

Blade Length: 10 inches

Blade width: 1 3/4 inch

Handle length: 4 1/2 inches

Robert,
Although I am sure it would work nice in a cutting comp, you would place very high in style. Great looking cutter.

Wade

Thanks guys :) Kevin I'm really not very good at grinding so I use other "tricks" to help me out so for example on this knife I created a very slight bevel on the spine that extend for 1/2 inch and created a stopping point for the flat grind which also made it relatively even.

Also I was able to put together a brief video yesterday testing some of the cutting performance. Over all I'd say it did reasonable well and would have done better to have a more skilled user and better cutting set up. But I was able to test it on magazine paper, hickory boards, and hackberry.

[video=youtube;Ac8bITwVhBY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac8bITwVhBY[/video]

So I had a visitor to my shop yesterday who let me try out their nice camera and I was able to get a couple of neat photos of the chopper and a couple of other knives. Hope you guys enjoy. Now there is no going back for me on getting a nice camera... :)

Back