Closed on my best sale ever today

Milt

I hope you don't mind me sharing. I had a great time making this sale.

I got a call from a 12-year-old boy who wanted to buy a knife. I have known this boy since he was born, as well as his 3 brothers and parents. He wanted a deer-hunting knife because he gets to hunt this fall he said. I suggested his dad and he pay me a visit.

The next day his dad called and set up a time to stop by. I knew money would be an issue for the young man, so I went to my stash of "special" knives saved for just this purpose. I came up with a decent 1095 blade that I felt would fit the bill.

I was just getting ready to quench a blade when they arrived, and was happy to share with them. We talked knives for about an hour until we got around to the purpose of their visit. I showed him the knife I had selected and told him why I thought it would be a good choice for him. He liked it. I asked him how much he wanted to spend. He informed me that he had $22. I was prepared to give it to him if necessary. I was hoping I would not have to do that, but not for monetary reasons.

I knew he raised chickens, so I asked him if he had many chickens at the present time. He said he did. So, I told him I would take $22 and a chicken for the knife. He grabbed the offer.

The boy and his parents came to the shop this morning with a nice big hen ready for the pot. I put the hen into the freezer, and then we talked some more. When it was time to settle up he took out his wallet and produced $17 in folding money. Then he went drilling in his pockets and came up with $5 in quarters, dimes and nickels. He counted them out into $1 piles, and we shook on it.

I'm not sure who was the happiest, the buyer or the seller.

Milt

The young guy will remember that when he gets older, hopefully he will so the same someday. Cool story

Great story. The young guy will take care of that knife forever knowing he paid for it with his hard earned cash. (and hen) I hope he gets to use it this season also.

Cool story man! Kids need to be introduced to knives early. This was great way for him to great a knife and a fantastic memory. :35:

Excellent representative of our craft and values...great to hear. I'd say you got the best end of this deal!

Excellent..
Best story I have heard in awhile.

If I can get in on this with a special price for sheath making material let me know.
i would like a chicken too...

22bucks and a chicken dinner for a knife......and a memory that will last a life time for you and the boy..priceless.

Stan

This reminds me of a story of when I worked for the Late Jimmy Lile. He had made an Anniversery knife for the Arkansas State Police. The price of the knife wa s$895. A young ASP Corpral stopped by the shop to look and visit. The youg Corpral looked at it admiringly, then handed it back to Jimmy and said it sure is nice but I just cant afford it. Jimmy asked the man if he had a $10 bill. he said yes, and Jimmy said to give it to him. He went to the cash box and made change handed the man the knife and $1,05. Then told him "If anyone ask's, thell them you paid 895.

I learned so much more than knifemaking from that Man. I sure miss him.

It's a great thing that there are so many humble and generous folks in the knife making world we live in!

God Bless
Mike

Thank you for that i'm sitting here at the computer smiling like a cat..
i think that is a pretty fair trade a knife for $22 hard earned dollars and a stewing hen.
both of you won on that deal and thank's for showing that great young kid some kindness it will come back to you someday .

This world needs more people like you around. Congrats on helping make this a better world that we live in.

Jim

I hope you don't mind me sharing. I had a great time making this sale.

I got a call from a 12-year-old boy who wanted to buy a knife. I have known this boy since he was born, as well as his 3 brothers and parents. He wanted a deer-hunting knife because he gets to hunt this fall he said. I suggested his dad and he pay me a visit.

The next day his dad called and set up a time to stop by. I knew money would be an issue for the young man, so I went to my stash of "special" knives saved for just this purpose. I came up with a decent 1095 blade that I felt would fit the bill.

I was just getting ready to quench a blade when they arrived, and was happy to share with them. We talked knives for about an hour until we got around to the purpose of their visit. I showed him the knife I had selected and told him why I thought it would be a good choice for him. He liked it. I asked him how much he wanted to spend. He informed me that he had $22. I was prepared to give it to him if necessary. I was hoping I would not have to do that, but not for monetary reasons.

I knew he raised chickens, so I asked him if he had many chickens at the present time. He said he did. So, I told him I would take $22 and a chicken for the knife. He grabbed the offer.

The boy and his parents came to the shop this morning with a nice big hen ready for the pot. I put the hen into the freezer, and then we talked some more. When it was time to settle up he took out his wallet and produced $17 in folding money. Then he went drilling in his pockets and came up with $5 in quarters, dimes and nickels. He counted them out into $1 piles, and we shook on it.

I'm not sure who was the happiest, the buyer or the seller.

Milt

Im almost positive the Trooper you are talking about is my dad. I have the the knife now. He numbered them all 1-13 for the J troop that had 13 troopers in it. My dad was J13. I had a guy offer me 1k for the knife not long ago....I think the knife is priceless.

Back