Clip Point Bevel

johnnyjump

Hi folks. I may be in over my head in a project that started out as a request for a large Bowie knife from my nephew. I'm working with 1/4" A2 steel and am trying to decide the best way to grind the false edge on the clip point end of the blade. I am not confident free handing the bevel, and wondering if my bevel jig would work mounted on the tool stand perpendicular to the platen. On the other hand, I've seen others grind the bevel on the contact wheel parallel to the direction of the wheel. I am more comfortable using the bevel jig on the platen, but the curve of the clip point has me a bit worried in terms of the geometry of the curve on the platen. Any suggestions would be most welcome. See my photos of the knife design actual knife from my hopeful nephew. :31:

Attachments

• IMG_7413.jpg
    IMG_7413.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0420.jpg
    IMG_0420.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 22
I'd rough the grind of the clip in with a belt, grinding perpendicular to the platen. I'd use only the first 1/2" or so of the edge of the belt on the platen. Get it close that way then switch to a narrow file to true up, flatten and make both sides the same.

That's just how I would do it. You'll probably get 10 different answers. :)

Hey, I appreciate the suggestion. That's kind of what I was thinking, so that helps to confirm my plan of action. Thanks! :cool:

YouTube: Nick Wheeler

He did a series of videos on the Joe Paranee Bowie where he did exactly as John describes above. The video series is fantastic.

The specific video where he grinds the clip is here: https://youtu.be/PQ24NS-79vo

Go to 7:50 mark if you want to see only that part first.

The one difference is that the clip on the knife he's making is not upswept at the tip like yours. But if you keep the termination point of your blade tip in mind (I'd use layout fluid and scribe the spine of the blade) you can set a line from the beginning point of your clip which goes to the termination point at the tip.

Last edited:
Hey! That's great! thanks. Nick Wheeler does amazing work. Also, appreciate the suggestion scribing the spine.

Back