Cleaver Sheath

Chef Niloc

I made this Sheath for a Custom Murray Carter cleaver of mine. BTW This is the 1st Sheath I have made after watching Paul's DVD, Sheath # 9

5b7b7547.png

4cb155f1.png

38664684.png

Chef, it looks like you are on your way! It's time now to start to refine your techniques and quality....a little improvement with each project.
Notice the circular impressions in the photo. They appear to have been made with a smooth face hammer. This may have been done when the leather was still a little damp from the carving and tooling adjacent. First, the hammer blows were probably a little bit agressive..lighten up some. These can be eliminated or made less visible by wetting the area again and "erasing" the area by rubbing the smooth face hammer over the area to smooth it all out again, and then let it dry completely. Also carving layouts should be planned on paper just as the original pattern is, and then lightly traced with a stylus onto the dampened leather, then carve and tool.

Keep on improving!:s11798:

Paul

Last edited:
The hammer marks were done on purpose, I was trying to mimic the smiths marks on the top of the blade. As for the carving thanks that helped. I think I bit off more then I could chew trying to carve script handwriting.

That was the first sheath I made after your DVD, here is the last one I did, again the name carving gives me trouble, maybe I should just stamp them.

5e868285.png

6e3f6396.png

Back