Cleaver advice please

izafireman

In a couple of months I am going to grind my mate a camp knife cleaver. What would be the best grind to put on this please as I have never attempted a cleaver.

Chris Railey

KNIFE MAKER
There are better people here than I to answer this question but maybe help them out a little more by telling them what you want the knife to be able to accomplish.

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
A "cleaver" generally has a heavy convex grind/edge to withstand the rigors of chopping duty. Not sure exactly what design a "Camp Knife Cleaver" is.... but I'd likely go with a flat grind, and a somewhat heavy convex edge. You can grind a knife to be a good "cutter" or you can grind a knife to be a good "chopper"..... trying to mix the two generally means giving up in one area to gain in another.....which one is up to the maker. ;)

izafireman

Thanks for the replies gents.

My terminology is likely wrong with the wording I used but its for a mate who now lives in Australia who wants a general purpose clever type design for when camping, so a jack of all trades blade I suppose though I think I will make it more or a chopping blade as he has his other knife he wears.

Drew Riley

1570972874761.png

Seems like the above "cleaver" profile has been gaining in popularity for "outdoor cooking", due, primarily to the "Almazan Kitchen" channel on youtube/social media. I don't particularly see it as any more useful than a traditional Chinese cleaver like Martin Yan uses.

I guess it depends on the end use....