Clay a damascus blade?

Jameasun

Are there any advantages to applying clay to a Damascus blade? I cant ever say I seen a hammon on a high layer blade. I am talking function over form.

I know typically claying is done to produce hamons and cause the spine of knifes to harden differently. As form is concerened, does it deminish from the beauty of the formed layers?

Differential hardening, however it's accomplished detracts from damacus, in the visual since. I think you will find most damascus makers harden the entire blade, drawing the tang to make it soft. When adding damascus guards and butt caps to blades its a good practice to harden and slightly temper the piece. In this way you get the most distinct look.
If you are talking about the functional part of differential hardening, its the same for a damascus blade as it is for other carbon steel blades.

Fred

I agree with Fred. If you try putting a hamon on a damascus blade you will have too much going on visually. If you do have a purpose to want a soft spine and a hard edge, like with a blade made for chopping, I would full quench and then draw the tempering in the spine to soften it. If you really want a pearletic spine and a martinsetic edge forget about using damascus and clay coat or edge quench. You can then etch or not.

Doug

That said, take a look at Kevin - the professor's work, he does a lot of low contrast damascus with hamons that I think look really cool. The original Japanese swords were basically a high-layer/low-contrast damascus, with hamon of course.

Back