clamp tool

KenH

Have ya'll seen these type hose clamp tool? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XWLDZC4/ I had never heard or seen that type of tool before. Here they are in action:

That guy makes it look really easy to clamp a hose. It's not that hard, but does take a couple times to practice.

I made one today and to give credit where it's desired for the plans:

He made his from tool steel and HT'd it, I used brass. The long pin is SS so should hold just fine no more than I'll be using it. I downloaded the plans from his website for the build.

Not sure I'll ever use it much at all, but it looked like a slick tool and I wanted one, and wasn't ready to pay the $70!

IMG_4715.jpg

Have ya'll seen this tool before? That was one purpose of the post - I'd never seen one before.

That's pretty slick. No doubt a little more economical than other hose clamp options, and it also eliminates the need to have a bunch of different sizes.

You may have just caused me another project.

Here's a direct link to the drawing for the tooll: http://www.soatmon.com/2018/09/

It was a fun build and didn't take all that much time.
Wish I'd have seen that drawing before I made mine! hahah
Actually, it looks like I got pretty close just from eyeballing, so all's well that ends well. ;)

Here's mine:

And here's a test clamp on the first "body" that I messed up on.

I used a wire that's probably twice as heavy as it needs to be, so it was a little tricky to set up, but it seemed to work pretty well regardless. My body is made from W1 drill rod, so it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to heat treat it, but then again, it'll probably work ok as is.

BTW, here's a video I found on a similar tool that I thought was pretty cool:

Mr Pete always has some good stuff. Thank you for the link.

You did good on your tool - It looks just like the factory tool. I used brass which isn't near so strong as your steel. I suspect no more than I'll use it the brass will work ok. I had the brass on hand. I got to use it other day - wife had a flower pot cracked down the side. Using the wire type clamp the wide crack closed up and pot is still in use.

Back