Christmas KITH Questions, PICS & Updates

Awesome trick Darren. I can't use that on this one but I would not have thought of that.

Does anyone have any thoughts on guard material. I wanted to try carbon fiber but have never seen it used. I figure it's along the lines of a G10 guard but this is new territory for me

Here is my entry. I call it the Grasshopper. CPM-154 blade polished grind with hand rubbed flats. Frame is carbon and Titanium. It is a non-locking flipper on bearings , detent hold open and closed. Still working on a leather pocket pouch. Just a couple crappy iPhone photos.
Carbon grasshoper closed.jpgCarbon Grasshoper Open.jpg

Thanks
Alan Kritzman
Cedar Rapids, IA

So I know this eager young knife maker who had a great idea to use a unique piece of local to him hardwood that doesn't split out.
He measured and marked this neat little treasure very precise to drill the three holes to make the slot for the blade.
He made two errors though in his endevor. One is using a new to him wood when he did not know how hard it would be to drill and when drilling losing the angle needed to keep away from the sides of the handle.
So any one have a suggestion of how to fix this?

6884b1380b41e18c60f36029c36a74c9.jpg

I dunno how it would work going in deep, but the classic 'older than wood putty' woodworker trick is to mix a bunch of sanding dust from that wood with wood glue to make your own filler/putty.
I don't know if that helps, but it might be worth a shot.

Walt, you could also not try and hide it and mix up some epoxy with bright red die in it. Make it a visual feature. Maybe drill a few extra holes for good measure .

Erik

I may make a pattern out of it and use some other wood bits to fill my oops. I do have more of this wood that is similar color to make filler putty with.
Ahhhha, its a groove for an inlay of a different contrast piece.

In all seriousness I am just going to go with plan B and use another block of stabilized hardwood.

Here is my entry. It is a little EDC style knife I like to do. This one is made of 1084 steel with a full flat grind, black linen micarta scales, orange liners for contrast and visibility, and nickle silver pins. There is also a bit of mild jimping on the spine for better contact.

Attachments

• edcbko1552.jpg
    edcbko1552.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 51
  • PA210031.jpg
    PA210031.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 49
  • PA210035.jpg
    PA210035.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 47
  • PA210036.JPG
    PA210036.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 45
sorry to hear that, Walt. But in the big scheme of things, knives aren't the top priority for us hobby makers. Hope all gets better.

I am going to try and get the knife done it is about 2 days worth of work left after ht so I am not giving up just had a low day.

Got my kith knife hardened and tempered. Did a clay quench on it, lightly etched it to see what activity I got. Looks like it worked. Now I have to grind in the bevels, which I think will change the activity some but on these smaller blades I like to grind post heat treat.
7182fba3dfe9520ff5641bf25abb1b4e.jpg

Looks good Justin. Mine just returned from heat treat as well. It's going to be a busy couple weeks!

Chris

Back