Christmas Exchange CA Glue

KenH

Hello All - I just wished to show what I'm using the CA glue in my Christmas Exchange for. This is a Spalted Oak scales that Smithy sent me, but never got around to using them. I hate to say it, in the rough they just didn't appeal to me all that much. BUT- Once I got them put on a blade and that view is just a single coat of CA glue. Boy was I IMPRESSED!!! I likes the figure in that oak very much. I think they will look even better once I do the final finish, but just had to share. Thank you Kevin for the CA (and other nice stuff) and THANK YOU!!! Smithy for the Spalted Oak - boy are they nice.

This has happened to me a few times in the past, a block of wood just wouldn't "click" for me and I'd not use it for a long time. Finally once I did install, it was like WOW - I want more of that. Anybody else have that to happen? Merry Christmas to all

Spalted-Oak-2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the nice words - and that's why I did the thread just to show off the wood. Maybe I was a little too impressed with the figure in the wood.

Process I use? You mean the finish? OR installation to tang? If finish, that's not really a finish. That's just a coat of thin CA glue rubbed in with my finger (latex gloves) - in a thick coat the CA stays liquid a good while. The next step will be to wet sand with 1200 grit, very lightly not to go thru the CA. edit: it will remove most of the CA that lays on surface. The purpose of CA is to fill any open pores so the final finish looks better.

Than a few coats of Tru-Oil seems to make a handle "pop" and hold up pretty good. I've got some knives in the kitchen that's been in constant use for 2 or 3 yrs with Tru-Oil finish and still look good.

Each coat of tru-oil will be finger rubbed in good, then while still wet, wipe off excess with a paper towel and let dry a few hrs, then do another coat. Pretty soon the dried coat will look "wet" and really shine. If you want a matt finish allow the final coat to dry a couple or 3 days, then lightly rub with 0000 steel wool.

Last edited:
Back