Christmas Exchange 2018!

I "think" it might be mesquite - it looks a LOT like another block I've got of mesquite. I've used that stuff a couple of times and really like it for working knives. Again THANKS - ALL of that stuff will be used.

Well looks like the one I sent got lost somewhere. I will see if I can get it track down otherwise I will send out another one but I won't be able to do it till after Christmas. I do apologize.

Got the same problem with a package I sent to a cousin - tracking number shows it left Mobile, AL heading to next location with delivery scheduled for today. Normally a package to him goes thru several points where it's scanned to show progress. So far, it's not been scanned since leaving Mobile. Still hoping it will make it. The USPS is pretty darn good...... compared to some postal services I've dealt with in other parts of world.

That is very aggravating. I sent a telescope eyepiece to NY a couple years ago, instead of heading north after clearing the regional center in Roanoke VA it went to Clearwater FL, then headed back up to NY.

My secret Santa came today from Jess Hoffman, accompanied by a letter telling me about himself. As much as I love the package, the personal letter makes me appreciate this group of people even more (if that were possible) than before. Now I can put a living, breathing, caring persona to his posts here on the forum. I look forward to following him from here on out.
Well, here's what I got (insert big grin here)
20181220_161658-600x1067.jpg20181220_160051-600x1067.jpg
From left to right is a bottle of EDCi carbon steel protectant, a beautiful block of stabilized and dyed curly maple, a wonderful looking piece of mokume gane (I wish you could see the swirls in this!), and a very beautiful block of stabilized bark maple burl.
With this absolutely beautiful package of materials, I will have to try to bring my "A" game for the two knives I will make from it, just to do it proper justice. I'll post pics of the knives when completed.
Mr. Hoffman, thank you for hosting this exchange, and thanks for giving me a glimpse of you personally in your letter.
This is a special forum.

I got my gift from Ty Adams today. A beautiful piece of redwood burl that I will put to use. A hunk of mammoth ivory which will be great for the Ebony and Ivory knife I've been planning. He also gave me an 1/8" mosaic pin. Thank you very much Ty!

Wowzers! That's some beautiful stuff! Seeing all this other stuff makes me think I should've added some more to my box!

I thought the same thing when I saw some of the gifts. I don't evn think Jess kept the $25.00 rule. This is my first gift exchange I hope my gift recipient is happy, too.

Anyway Daniel, no I don't think you needed to add anything else to yours.
I received a couple pair of tongs today from Daniel Macina:
100_1144.JPG

I told Daniel why I was happy to receive these, but I'll share with everyone else, too. So I'm pretty set on learning to use 80CrV2 for my knives. It looks like it's versatile for the different kinds of knives I want to make. And I want to adjust my equipment to be able to use it which I think will make me a better knifemaker anyway in the long run. I had a hard time forging it last winter. (Does forging too cold add stresses - thread). From reading other knifemakers posts on that thread I learned high chromium steels are harder to forge and that the colder outside temps will cause you to lose heat faster. I also think I haven't learned coordination with tongs and that also contributed to me not forging the steel well. Losing heat and not holding it right I'd only get a few strikes in, then back into the forge. So coming into this winter I decided I wasn't going to forge this steel outside again at sub zero temps... and until I made a good pair of tongs. I snagged some rebar this summer but Daniel sent me these instead. These are pretty much ready to go. So thank you very much Daniel for putting me closer to my goal. Merry Christmas!

I thought the same thing when I saw some of the gifts. I don't evn think Jess kept the $25.00 rule. This is my first gift exchange I hope my gift recipient is happy, too.

I'm pretty comfortable I was at or near the $25 Mark. The prices I use are my cost of the items, not retail. I'm a wood hoarder so I have a ton laying around.

In my case, what I sent was free to me wood, or a piece that I had bought and had enough of one slab left over that was to me, scrap I would never use because I don't make folders. The piece of damascus was from a cut off of a cut off that was gifted to me for the purpose of making a charity raffle knife. I already knew my recipient would be using it for that purpose. I had well under the $25 limit in the box I sent out.

Got my Christmas Exchange box the other day from Brian (Bcarlson7 ).

Some very wood and G-10 pin. Very nice stuff and I have plans for all of it already

Thank you Brian

IMG]

I sent that on the 12th. It never moved until the 22nd? What? Then like I said in the PM I got texts all night with updates...and finally saw that it arrived this morning. Cool! I'm glad it got there just in time. And I'm glad to hear you have some plans formulating already. Merry Christmas again, Ty.

Back