Christmas Exchange 2018!

Looks like I will be the first to post a received package. Bossdog was my Secret Santa. I sure got excited when I saw the box. Just like Christmas morning for every 8 year old boy. Thank you Bossdog! I opened it up and found some pretty cool stuff inside.

A nice block of wood. I have no clue what type of wood it is. Some sort of burl that is light in color and weight??

Some plays with Knife stickers. Who would not find something to do with those?? I got an idea or two.

A fairly large piece of carbon fiber (roughly 6x5 inches). I have never made a knife with carbon fiber. Looking forward to finding the right project to break that trend.

Lastly, what appears to be a steel drop of some sort. A couple of years ago, I got a knife blank in the Christmas giveaway from Larry Franklin. It was a stainless kitchen knife. I had never worked with stainless or made a kitchen knife. I took it as a challenge and completed it. Same thing with this piece. I am being challenged, again. Not exactly sure what to do with it. Perhaps a leather round knife? It has the approximate shape. Anyone have an idea - post it up. I will figure something out. Bossdog, if you can remember what type of steel this is, let me know.

Thank you Bossdog. Merry Christmas to all!!

DSC05729.jpg

DSC05731.jpg

That looks like an Ulu type blank. I could type info on the Ulu, but there is so much info out there it's better for you to do a search on "Ulu" and you'll find LOTS of good info. Yep, you do need the type of metal for HT info.

For information purposes it would be nice to know what type of wood it is, and does it need stabilizing, or can you use it like it is now.

You did good. I've been a fan of carbon fiber, just never used any. Good luck and have fun!

Ken H>

Looks like I will be the first to post a received package. Bossdog was my Secret Santa. I sure got excited when I saw the box. Just like Christmas morning for every 8 year old boy. Thank you Bossdog! I opened it up and found some pretty cool stuff inside.

A nice block of wood. I have no clue what type of wood it is. Some sort of burl that is light in color and weight??

Some plays with Knife stickers. Who would not find something to do with those?? I got an idea or two.

A fairly large piece of carbon fiber (roughly 6x5 inches). I have never made a knife with carbon fiber. Looking forward to finding the right project to break that trend.

Lastly, what appears to be a steel drop of some sort. A couple of years ago, I got a knife blank in the Christmas giveaway from Larry Franklin. It was a stainless kitchen knife. I had never worked with stainless or made a kitchen knife. I took it as a challenge and completed it. Same thing with this piece. I am being challenged, again. Not exactly sure what to do with it. Perhaps a leather round knife? It has the approximate shape. Anyone have an idea - post it up. I will figure something out. Bossdog, if you can remember what type of steel this is, let me know.

Thank you Bossdog. Merry Christmas to all!!

DSC05729.jpg

DSC05731.jpg

That is one of bosses super Ulu patterns. Makes them in several different steels though so I can't help you there.

Since demo broke the ice, I’ll follow suit. OP was my secret Santa, and it took me a little while to figure out what I was looking at lol. But, oh man, I think got it figured out now. I’m willing to bet that this square is really really square! The square file should come in very handy when doing file work for sure. I love small files! But the other parts... hmm. Those little buggers had me scratching my head a bit. I think they are sideways cutting bits lol, right? If they are, I’m super pumped, because I can make things fit much tighter! Either way, though, they are very cool looking... I love precisely machined steel. I get excited just looking at them. Y’all please let me know, though, if I these are used for something else. Thank you, thank you, thank you, OP! You’re the best! Love the gift!!! Merry Christmas to all!0B5AEDC6-5F0B-480F-AF9D-0D9C48350D93.jpeg

Edit: I did a little more investigating, and it seems as though I have no clue what I’m talking about lol... what a shock! Do you use them to put a hole dead center of another hole? Or maybe countersinking?

Last edited:
Those are center drills - used in a drill press, lathe, or mill to "spot" a hole. This short large shank drills don't "walk" as a jobber drill bit will. With the hole spotted, the drill bit doesn't "walk" as you start to drill.

"A center drill bit, also called a self centering drill bit, is a shank-style cutting tool used to start holes in a range of materials without the need for a pilot like other bit types. ... They are used in machines such as handheld portable drills, drill presses, machining centers, and lathes."

Last edited:
Since demo broke the ice, I’ll follow suit. OP was my secret Santa, and it took me a little while to figure out what I was looking at lol. But, oh man, I think got it figured out now. I’m willing to bet that this square is really really square! The square file should come in very handy when doing file work for sure. I love small files! But the other parts... hmm. Those little buggers had me scratching my head a bit. I think they are sideways cutting bits lol, right? If they are, I’m super pumped, because I can make things fit much tighter! Either way, though, they are very cool looking... I love precisely machined steel. I get excited just looking at them. Y’all please let me know, though, if I these are used for something else. Thank you, thank you, thank you, OP! You’re the best! Love the gift!!! Merry Christmas to all!View attachment 66520

Edit: I did a little more investigating, and it seems as though I have no clue what I’m talking about lol... what a shock! Do you use them to put a hole dead center of another hole? Or maybe countersinking?

Ken is right on with the center drill pins. I use mine all the time and they really help with getting the holes drilled where you want them. As many knives as you are building with blade guards I thought the small machinists square would come in handy. I love my little square machinists file (one that EdG had recommended a while back).
Merry Christmas!

I laughed a little when I threw that in Super Ulu in there. I knew it would be a stumper. Ulu's are crazy popular in every country except the USA. Not sure why but they work really well. This design is for skinning game. Heat treat it just like 440c - which I think it is.
The wood is stable Madrone.
The CF is something you need to use at least once. It will shape and buff up beautifully. Respirator when working it please.

Thank you Bossdog. Merry Christmas to all!! [IMG said:

Got mine today! Thank you so much @KenH! Really appreciate it buddy! I will post pictures when I get to the house. I was so excited I ripped it open right in my truck!:p

Mine showed up from Dan Frazier with a great letter telling me about his knife career.
What do you get the guy that has a knife supply business Jess H asked me.

I suggested a raw knife blank profile, no holes, any style and I would finish it and donate it to charity.
Dan sends this. a killer damascus blade with guard and assorted handle material that I'm now intimidated by.
Thanks Dan. I can't get right to it but I will and will post pics of it done.
If have a friend that is a missionary in South Dakota on the res. I'll be sending it to him for one of his fund raising drives.

IMG_3816.jpg

On Saturday, I went to the post office and received a package from my secret Santa.. Here is what was in the package : A beautiful piece of maple for scales and a sweet shaped blade blank with hamon! This came from Peter Martin and I thank you very much. Merry Christmas to me ! And Merry Christmas to all you fine folks here at knifedogs. PS- if you haven't seen Peters work check out his website. BJ
DSC01284.JPG

Ooops, had to change photos - forgot to include that BIG rubber eraser!

I got email from Post Office (get these each day showing what mail is coming) yesterday morning showing what mail there would be delivered today and there was a package listed and shipped from Lafayette, LA. Email said it would be here today. Oh Boy, I'm looking forward because I think that's from my favorite math professor {g}. Normal mail is delivered between 11am and 1pm at the very latest. Went to mailbox to put package for shipment, and there is all the mail I was to get today, but no package! Check tracking number again and it shows "Out for Delivery". Hmmm, mail has ran early today. I put flag up showing mail to be picked up, kept looking toward mailbox all during the day - flag still up. After dark at 6pm I shined light and flag is now down. Hmmm, checked and there is my box! A big box and it is from Kevin Zito. Looked at tracking number and it shows delivered around 5:45pm! Who's ever heard of a rural mail carrier delivering that late in day? Anyway, rushed in to open box - WOW!! I made out like a bandit with all the goodies. There are 5 (yes, FIVE!) blocks of nice wood, a really NICE big rubber eraser, and enough super glue to keep me in stock for a while. Nice thing, the super glue are all in tiny tubes so they don't go bad. That eraser - I use those all the time to clean grinding belts. They really work!

BTW Kevin, any idea what the short block of wood? It's a really heavy, dense wood so will make a good handle.

THANK YOU Kevin!

Christma-2018.jpg

Last edited:
Ooops, had to change photos - forgot to include that BIG rubber eraser!

I got email from Post Office (get these each day showing what mail is coming) yesterday morning showing what mail there would be delivered today and there was a package listed and shipped from Lafayette, LA. Email said it would be here today. Oh Boy, I'm looking forward because I think that's from my favorite math professor {g}. Normal mail is delivered between 11am and 1pm at the very latest. Went to mailbox to put package for shipment, and there is all the mail I was to get today, but no package! Check tracking number again and it shows "Out for Delivery". Hmmm, mail has ran early today. I put flag up showing mail to be picked up, kept looking toward mailbox all during the day - flag still up. After dark at 6pm I shined light and flag is now down. Hmmm, checked and there is my box! A big box and it is from Kevin Zito. Looked at tracking number and it shows delivered around 5:45pm! Who's ever heard of a rural mail carrier delivering that late in day? Anyway, rushed in to open box - WOW!! I made out like a bandit with all the goodies. There are 5 (yes, FIVE!) blocks of nice wood, a really NICE big rubber eraser, and enough super glue to keep me in stock for a while. Nice thing, the super glue are all in tiny tubes so they don't go bad. That eraser - I use those all the time to clean grinding belts. They really work!

BTW Kevin, any idea what the short block of wood? It's a really heavy, dense wood so will make a good handle.

THANK YOU Kevin!

Christma-2018.jpg
Ken, I’m glad you like all the goodies. As far as the short block... I have no clue, but I love that little piece of wood. It has some decent character on one of the sides and like you said, it’s dense as can be. I would guess diw or maybe even coco. I can’t wait to see what you make with these. Merry Christmas.

Back