Chopper WIP

Venturing into longer blades brings another dimension to the process especially with the HT where some warping can complicate the result and imediatte post HT straightening capability starts to be a factor. That is a great chopper shape by the way. I never saw the point (hah) to a knife shaped upswept blade fornt end to a chopper blade.

Venturing into longer blades brings another dimension to the process especially with the HT where some warping can complicate the result and immediate post HT straightening capability starts to be a factor. That is a great chopper shape by the way. I never saw the point (hah) to a knife shaped upswept blade front end to a chopper blade.
Thanks Von. Since this is my first chopper I'm glad folks like it shape. Knock on wood I didn't have any issues with warping. I have been using Canola oil for quenching but it didn't work well for this 1075 steel. I broke out the Parks and it hardened nicely.
Typically I've been doing the grinding post heat treat but since this steel was thicker (3/16) and a much larger blade than I've used before I did most of the bevel grinding pre heat treat.
The two tempering cycles are complete so I'll do the finish grinding today and hopefully get a suitable set of scales on it.

I can't wait to see this one finished. Looking good!
Thanks GeneK. I got the scales mounted on the first one today and decided I'd make one out of 01 tool steel. Here is a picture of chopper #2.
This is the grind taken to 80 grit. It has not been normalized or quenched yet. Pic taken just after drill the pin holes.

Here is the finished chopper blade. Once the second blade is finished I don't think I will do anymore like this. The curve in the blade was difficult to grind (for me) and it's difficult to sharpen as well. I've modified the second one so there will not be as much curve in the cutting edge. For my first blade of this size and shape I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out. The pins are carbon fiber tubes with micarta inserts, the lanyard tube is carbon fiber.

Back