Children and knifemaking

Andre Grobler

Here are my boys’ new outdoor knives... the 8yo wanted a hunter bushcrafter... the youngest wanted an outdoors machete... both drew their own knives and i used the dangerous tools depending on their ages... and refined the shapes on the grinder according to their input on holding the knives’ whilst profiling, they also provided what elbow grease they wanted to put in, i am not handsanding their knives. So the final outcome is dependant on what effort they wanted to pit in, with me reducing the risk of bloodshed... they are 5 and 8 and the eldest roughed out the bevels... steel O1 and 15n20 - which i really really like in a machete type thing...

Attachments

• 9F32F3CD-3C76-4C0F-ADEC-E246878048E0.jpeg
    9F32F3CD-3C76-4C0F-ADEC-E246878048E0.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 33
  • 636C52B4-358D-4160-9FB4-8A63F12C82F0.jpeg
    636C52B4-358D-4160-9FB4-8A63F12C82F0.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
"they also provided what elbow grease they wanted to put in, i am not handsanding their knives."

That's funny!
Great job and what a great way to introduce craftsmanship! I envy you being able to do that with your children.

BTW, I love the butt shape on those knives. Can you share how you do that?

Yes I agree it's good you took the time to help them get started.And those knifes look real nice love the handles.

"they also provided what elbow grease they wanted to put in, i am not handsanding their knives."

That's funny!
Great job and what a great way to introduce craftsmanship! I envy you being able to do that with your children.

BTW, I love the butt shape on those knives. Can you share how you do that?

I use a small wheel and use it to cut a line about 45deg from the curve apex then take a soft backing slack belt ran off the side of the wheels and let it fold into the curveand from there you just check a lot and grind a little

Back