Cheyenne style Medicine bag

ChuckBurrows

This is a special piece for a very special young lady who is my best friend's oldest daughter - I was asked (by her Mom) to make a "medicine" bag for her 20th birthday. The bag is meant for keeping an assortment of very personal keepsakes/heirlooms given to her by family and friends at the same time (called "medicine" in the parlance of the Plains Indians and mountain men) and so I came up with this piece which is based on an original Cheyenne pipe bag, but I decided to add to it some things I've been wanting to do and kind of took it over the top, but it was worth it..

pouch-pipe-2013-naomi-1-2.jpg
pouch-pipe-2013-naomi-1-3.jpg

pouch-pipe-2013-naomi-1-1.jpg
pouch-pipe-2013-naomi-1-4.jpg

The leather is braintan and the beadwork is 1840-50's style Cheyenne using 8/0 pound beads. Once constructed it was given an aged look The bag proper is about 14" x 7".
I'm often asked how long such a piece takes and normally I don't add up the hours, but on this one I did - total actual construction and aging time (not including breaks :3: ) was 130 hours...but none of that mattered and it was well worth it when I got to see the smile on that young lady's face when it was presented to her... (I got a big hug too :biggrin: )

Last edited:
Back