Cheap tools

Rob Nelson

I've not posted here in awhile thanks to work, but I was taking the advantage of a long weekend to get back in the shop. I had bought a 3 pack of cheap C Clamps at a dollar type store when I first started, and they've done the trick setting scales on about 15 knives so far, but tonight as I was setting the scales onto a small kitchen knife for my wife, the darn thing exploded! Fragmented right at the elbow. Thank goodness I had my eyepro on. I personally would've figured the wooden scales would've split before the clamp, so I was gradually finger tightening it cautiously checking the scale material to make sure I wasn't hurting anything. Boom.

Some might say, Hey, you got a bunch of handles out of it before it exploded, and it only cost .33 cents! Looking back, it could've happened anytime; I consider it luck it lasted as long as it did. I'll be getting a better set now. :)

I recommend Kant twist clamps they are awesome I use them all the time welding another good choice is the J style clamps. You can get the J style in a 3" jaw

Kant twist clamps are fantastic, you don't get that twisting action like normal screw C clamps do.

They are not as fast and as cheap as the normal spring clamps for glue up though.

I've not posted here in awhile thanks to work, but I was taking the advantage of a long weekend to get back in the shop. I had bought a 3 pack of cheap C Clamps at a dollar type store when I first started, and they've done the trick setting scales on about 15 knives so far, but tonight as I was setting the scales onto a small kitchen knife for my wife, the darn thing exploded! Fragmented right at the elbow. Thank goodness I had my eyepro on. I personally would've figured the wooden scales would've split before the clamp, so I was gradually finger tightening it cautiously checking the scale material to make sure I wasn't hurting anything. Boom.

Some might say, Hey, you got a bunch of handles out of it before it exploded, and it only cost .33 cents! Looking back, it could've happened anytime; I consider it luck it lasted as long as it did. I'll be getting a better set now. :)

You can never be to careful working in the shop. I always wear eye Pro and a heavy leather apron pass my knees to protect all of the important areas.
A respirator too.

These plastic spring clamps are a good cheap was to go also.

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece-78-spring-clamp-set-69375.html
Plus they sell cheap C- clamps.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Back