Cheap practice grinding steel.

Smallshop

KNIFE MAKER
Sometimes I go to the pawn shop and buy $5 knives from their "bucket o' knives". I buy them for design ideas and to practice finish grinding. Sometimes If I find a decent one I'll reshape it and use it.

Today I found a Gerber (Taiwan) that had a good joint, a crappy edge, and a very rakish design on the handle. It's a folder with no clip and was not at all comfortable in the pocket. I reshaped three of the four "corners" and reground the blade very lightly just at the edge and then Arkansas stoned it. Steel seems real good! I have a new $5 edc....lol....and much more comfortable in the pocket.

I'll put up a pic when I find my camera....:(

Lol...set my sony cybershot down in the shop....I don't have a cell phone....so as soon as this black hole coughs up my camera....lol

Good idea! I'm gonna start looking for old files too. I really wanna do a knife from a Ferriers file.

Found my camera in my box of springs. Slid off the ledge of my office window into the box...started thinking I was going crazy...1500 sq ft of mess to find it in...

DSC01195.JPG DSC01194.JPG

Thanks. Those scratches are barely visible. You cannot feel them with a fingernail. The main point I was making is that practice grinding is easy on a finish blade (once you match up wheel dia etc.) and you can kind of learn how they did the blade by copying. Kind of a paint by numbers. Then when you mess it up beyond use...toss it and call it a $5 training session...

Back