Ceramic tile to keep flux from messing up my forge?

coachcampana

Im going to start forge welding in my 3 burner gas forge. The manufacturer suggests using a piece of ceramic tile on the bottom of the forge to keep any flux from gumming up the brick lining. What do you vets think about that? Better suggestion?

Thanks!

EdCaffreyMS

Forum Owner - Moderator
I assume you have a horizontal forge? If so, then anything you could put in to catch the flux/keep the flux from contacting the actual forge lining, yet not impede heating would be a good idea.

Although I do my best not to use flux in my horizontal forges, sometimes it just happens. And just for that reason I have a half brick (half the thickness of a regular sized fire brick) in the floor of the forge. I saves me about 2-3 relines on the forges annually. When the half brick gets all icky from flux or whatever, I can pull it out and replace it with a new one.

If you intentionally use flux in a horizontal forge, it's surprising how quickly it builds up on the floor/bottom.

Vombrown

Dealer - Purveyor
We were just discussing this the other day....

A firebrick in the bottom that fits tightly, then seal the edges with mortar. When it gets scuzzy you would be able to pop it out and add a new one. Mortaring the brick in would be important I think to stop the fluid melted flux from getting under the fire brick and eroding.