Ceramic Knife ?

CattleMaster247

Evening Gentlemen,

Hope you are all doing well. I want to start by giving my opinion on Ceramic Blades. I'm all for steel and not ceramic, but they do well in the kitchen. I was at my parents house today and came across a few ceramic knives, that were dull and had some minor chips in the edge. So seeing this brought me back to the 2012 blade show, where my buddy was looking into a few ceramics, and I over heard the guy say that you cannot sharpen at home and have to send off to get replaced. It seemed ridiculous to send off to get one sharpened,when you can basically purchase a replacement with what the shipping would be.

As I cannot stand seeing a knife that needs to be sharpened, at this point I made the choice to say "well I'll show you" Put a little thought to it and looked to my edge pro with my diamond stones, and I'll be Dam*Ed if it didn't come out beyond razor sharp. That being said I wanted to ask, would the edge be able to maintain itself e as well as it was when purchased. Used the knife while cooking dinner ton and is holding up well. Will the ceramics decrease the life span of my diamond tapes/ etc. Just wanted to hear several opinions on the matter, and any possible extra care for the blade.

Dugan

Dugan,

I sharpen Ceramic knives for my customers using my slack belt setup on my 2 x 72" Variable Hardcore Grinder. I start with a 80 or 120 Grit ceramic belt and then progress to a 220 Grit and then 600 Grit O/A belt.

They EAT up your belts of course so I have a $10.00 minimum to sharpen Ceramic knives. One of the many problems is that they chip very easy of course and should be used for Vegetation or already boned meat/Fish only.

I think they are a Fad and will fade again in time as they did when they came out in the mid-90's
The main problem is that they are Ceramic and are so brittle that they need to be made with thicker blades to keep them from breaking.

Some in the Vegan/Veggie crowd swear by them.
I think because they love most anything different and have a unfounded belief that eating food prepared with a Steel knife will some how harm them?
Each to his own!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Back