Ceramic Belts choices

izafireman

My partner is stateside at the moment so is going to bring me some belts back.

I use cubitron 2 at the moment but hear good reports about the Norton Blaze which I haven't seen here. What are your thought please gents?

Belts will be used on fully hardened steel as that all I grind, looking for both quality of cut and how long the belt lasts for.

I've only just come online so haven't checked what's on the main site.

Oh and I believe there are two types of Cubitron belt grades, which are the better of the two please?

Many thanks

Last edited:
I used to swear by Norton Blaze.....then they went and messed up a good thing. They applied something to the backing that was supposed to create less friction.....but it also gums up platens so badly, that you have to stop and scrape the platen every few minutes or risk wrecking a grind. They also got greedy and jacked the prices through the roof. Their not even on my radar any longer.

I've never been a big fan of 3M belts..... mainly because I feel they are overpriced for what they are......but many people love them.

Personally, my heavy grit belts are VSM ceramics. Specifically XK760X belts. I use them is both 50 and 120 grits.

Last edited:
Ed, have you tried the VSM XK870 Ceramics? They're also available in 50 and 120 grit, and priced right at $5 for 50 grit and $3.50 for 120 grit at Pops. I just now see the VSM XK760 Ceramics are available from Pop's supply at about the same price as the VSM XK870 Ceramic. The VSM XK870 Ceramic were the only belts that showed up on old website. Gotta look at new website.

Thanks for the replies guys, interesting one regarding the Norton belt, that would really bug me when working.
The Cubitron 2s I have found great but as you say expensive, more so over here and their customers support is disgusting, certainly in the UK anyway. I have asked for support countless times and the reps could give a rats ass, hence I am doing my best to try avoid their products in the future but it is not easy doing so.

Back