Cerakoted my rifle

SYD32

I've used the oven cure (H-Series) Cerakote on some knives I've made previously, but wanted to try it on a rifle. Took me a few minutes to get over the though of sandblasting a nearly new S&W M&P 15X but it had to be done. Took quite a while to sandblast all of the parts down to bare metal. Next step was making sure all the parts were thoroughly degreased, this included using non-chlorinated brake cleaner, acetone and a short stint in the oven at 250 degrees to make sure all of the oil was pushed to the surface of the metal. I then degreased the gun again. After that I taped the parts i didn't want the Cerakote on and hung all of them on a rack in the garage. I used a Paasche airbrush and an Iwata high volume low pressure spray gun. I applied the Cerakote in two stages. The first coat was desert sand. Over the Desert Sand i randomly sprayed some Coyote Tan patches over the rifle. I flash cured this in the oven at 225 degrees for 15 minutes. Next i covered many of the parts with a mesh netting and then randomly sprayed over the mesh with Magpul Flat Dark Earth. I removed the netting and baked the parts in the oven for 2-hours at 250 degrees. I also did 4-magazines. My next project is going to be using the C-Series Cerakote (air cure) on the Aimpoint Comp M2 that is mounted on the rifle.

I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. Now to see how it holds up over time.

I also did a couple of knife blades in the same pattern. Will post photos once the handles are finished.

M4.jpg

Back